try this my doctor said

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I suffered a lower back injury in January 07. I was on oxycontin, oxynorm, with terrable side effects, spced out of my head all day long dry mouth dizzy and severly constipated. I attended a pain management doc and he sugested these patches. I was on 25 for six days and as a resuly had to stay in bed with the pain, I uped to 50 ie tow patches and after a few days noticed I was begining to feel a little better. I am now on 75 patches with no real bad side effects a little dry mouth I get mild hot flushes and have no problem passing urine and No 2`s. I do cry allot not good for a 43 male but that is probably down to my depression that the patches. I am now much more awake than I have been in six months I also take 30mg of amytriptaline each day not for depression but for nerve pain, so to sum up try these patches and give them a time to work, I`d say atleast a week to 10days. Hope this is of some help. Thank you

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

By any chance do you know a way of getting the patch on to your upper back without help. My partner broke her back and needs patches on but i leave for work very early and cant help her put them on. So she has just been doing without and ends up in serious pain. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

Hello,

I have been using the Fentanyl patches for 3 yrs,  I did use my lower back at first but when this became difficult I started putting them on my upper arms - changing from right to left arm with each change of patch so as not to use the same area of skin each time.  Is there a particular reason for the patch having to be placed on the back?  

One other suggestion,  when I apply the patches,  I peel off half of the clear backing and stick the patch on my arm and then peel off the other half,  this means I do not have to touch the sticky side of the patch at all,  makes application so much easier.   I have also applied the patches on my breast under my bra at times,  especially in summer when wearing sleeveless tops - this helps protect them from the sun as well as hiding them from view.

Hope this is of help,   hope your partner gets as good pain relief from them as I do.

Warm regards

Jessie 

• Posted

I used to be on the Fentanyl patches until I had a problem due to insurance issues. I have permanent cord and nerve damage @ L4-L5 due to a ruptured disc and surgical complications. After being on Lortab for over 6 months with no real relief I was finally referred to a pain management dr. At the time I was 38 yrs old with a 2 yrs old son who needed a daddy that wasn't able to participate in life, and the oral meds were a 'rollercoaster'. After having adhesion problems (after I'd been able to join the living again) I'd remembered a friend that had a stoma and mentioned these strange wipes he used between his appliance and skin. It was some type of polymer that allowed the adhesive to hold better. I was able to get them from the pharmacy where I got my patches. Also, I found that applying the patch on alternating sides of my chest worked best for me. I live in the Southeast part of the USA and temps and humidity can add a whole new level of complications. I'd shave the area and use a std alcohol wipe to prep the area 1st and then use the 'skin prep' wipe after the alcohol dried. At the time I was very active and that allowed me to get out and do things again. Hope this helps! Blessings to all!
  • Posted

Hi Duncan, I am new to this website. I joined because I am living in France with a recently diagnosed slipped disc and degenerative arthritis of most of my spine.

Since January I have been admitted twice into hospital. The last time for a series of injections into the epidural. I was also on Tramadol, OxyContin LP 20 and 10 with Oxynorm Orro. Like you I had the same awful side effects. Given that the injections were not successful and that I have been flat on my back since 9th February my doctor has just prescribed me Fentanyl 50 ug/h patches

I was concerned about the side effects of these patches and also how effective they could be against intense pain. Your informative note was the first relevant contribution I read. I just wanted to thank you as I found it very helpful and reassuring

I would hope that by now you have recovered or at least in better health.

• Posted

I am so glad you mention the hot flashes. So glad you are feeling better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.