Try to cut down on Amitriptyline without any success

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I have been on Amitriptyline for 2 years. I am currently on 25mg to help with IBS. I want to try and cut down because it has made me put on so much weight. I have put on a stone in weight since I have been on them.

They are making me feel so depressed because of the weight gain.

I have tried cutting down from 25mg to 20mg. I can't believe such a small amount could have so many side effects. It's only a 5mg drop. But I felt really anxious and nervous, and I couldn't sleep. I couldn't cope so I gave up after a week and went back to 25mg.

My doctor's are absolutely useless they don't care one bit. And it's impossible to get an appointment to see a doctor.

I feel so alone and just need help coming off these evil tablets they are completely ruining my life. I absolutely hate being on them

How did anyone cut down and what is the best way to go about it. If takes a year to slowly come off these tablets. I don't care I just want to come off them

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sammy's tapering strategy is amazing. I tried to do a regular cut 10 to 7.5mg and was so sick!!! I ended up reinstating to 10mg. I was able to taper off the 10mg in 50 days using Sammy's strategy. I did still encounter withdrawals (still am) but the nausea this time is NOTHING compared to the first attempt I struggled to drink water it was horrible.

• Posted

I went to see my Dr today. I told him I am so desperate to cut down on the Amitriptyline. I told him everytime I try and cut down on the Amitriptyline I feel really anxious and nervous, and I can't sleep.

I am also on 100mg of Sertraline for depression 🙁

The Dr said I could up the Sertraline and reduce the Amitriptyline. I said I would think about.

Would this be a good thing to do. I'm so confused and so anxious even thinking about it.

• Posted

Hi,

It it can offer you any hope I had taken between 150-250mg of amitryptaline for 20 years. I also suffer greatly with anxiety, depression,sleeping and most of all pain. It took meeting an incredible osteopath who was shocked at the amount I had taken. Explained the damage it was doing to me. Finally someone responsible in the industry who helped me see the light. Having slowly reduced dose I stopped completelyna year ago. I won’t lie, it’s been incredibly tough but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have however swapped one drug for another and sometimes use a fentanyl/ durogesic patch to help ease the pain and take the odd sleeping pill to help but for me the new meds are low in strength and infrequent with less harm to me internally. I have used a wonderful app called calm, mindfulness, breathing, swimming, yoga, whatever possible that’s available all around us and healthy. It’s not easy but surely if I can do it then so can you. Be strong and do whatever you need to do but believe!!

Ed

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I go to the gym 3 times a week. I find exercise really helps. I really enjoy it. I call it my therapy, and my dog helps me so much. He always puts a smile on my face.
    • Posted

Hi Willow, I was once on 100 mgs of Sertraline for depression. That is probably what is causing your weight gain, more than the Amitriptyline, even though it can cause you to gain weight also. Are you by any chance going through menopause? I know exactly how you feel about both medication. I managed to get off Sertraline about two years ago, took over two years to wean off that one. I am still on 10 mgs of Amitriptyline but trying to come down to 5mgs for the fourth time. You really have to do it on your own, the doctors are useless, even here in Canada. I found a good Naturopath who has helped me so much with my anxiety, taught me to breathe properly, which is so important to relieve anxiety and also try to do yoga as much as possible. It is just a matter of taking your health into your own hands. If you can get your prescription compounded, that is a solution also. Try to get a prescription for 22 mgs of Amitriptyline and stay there like a month and then maybe go down to 20 mgs etc.... you need a compound Pharmacy to make the pills in that amount. Please try not to be discouraged, I have been there, it takes time and powerful determination but you can do it. Also praying to God to walk this journey with you will help. God bless you 🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

Hi Charline

It's definitely the Amitriptyline that has made me put on weight. I was on Sertraline a few years before I started taking Amitriptyline and I didn't put on any weight at all. Until I started the Amitriptyline, I have put on a stone in weight. It is really getting me down. They are doing more harm than good 🙁🙁

• Posted

Hi Willow, I am so with you on this, I also call them evil.

Its taken me 6 months to go from 25mg to 2.5mg. I ordered a pill cutter online and planned a 2.5mg taper, its still tough, by day 3 am in tears, nausea, headaches, tetchy, dizzy and stomach issues. The worst is normally over after a few weeks. I gave myself a break as found the withdrawals exhausting and needed to focus on my job which was suffering and just felt better and better. Last month I was on 10mg, and in the space of 4 weeks tomorrow, I am now down to 2.5mg, and the withdrawal symptoms have been worse, the doctor has signed me off work due to hemiplegic migraine and elevated blood pressure. I know that this is due to tapering too quickly, and am determined to see this through. My message here is slow tapers with time to settle is better than quick tapers. Hang in there you are not alone. I joined today to be able to talk to people who understand how bad these meds are. I was put on them for insomnia and have been ill ever since that was 3 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.