Trying an experiment, would like your input

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I was dx'd in October with GA and got only 2 wks of prednisone, which knocked it right down. Only to resurge with a vengeance once it ran out. After reading posts here, gone paleo/primal in hopes of clearing it up. Also saw on FactMed site about a case reported of a patient developing GA while on Prilosec. I was on Prilosec. Quit last week when diet changed. Have any of you been on prescription Prilosec and did this GA start after? VERY interested in your responses. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was on prescription Nexium for about 5 years and the ga started while I was on it. I discontinued taking it and it progressively got worse. I have brought that up with my primary doctor and dermatologists and they basically said that wouldn’t cause it.
    • Posted

They would. It's called CYA. On eScholarship.org it states there are 15reports of omeprazole with GA. Google "Granuloma Annulare omeprazole" and see what's out there.

• Posted

Interesting. I wasn’t on Prilosec but was on Protonix and have since switched to Dexilant. I haven’t seen a difference when my diet changes, but I think your theory may have some merit! The only thing that seems to work long term (usually 6 months) are cortisone injections.
  • Posted

I have granuloma annulare on my forearms...for a couple years with this batch.  I have taken Rx antacid preps for years and have had GA for years but no particular correlation I don't think...think it makes no difference.  SInce it is so persistent and have been told there is no real cure I have decided to try experimenting with non-RX safe substances to see if I can find any improvement at all. If you are interested will let you know my results and if there's anything interesting perhaps you will want to experiment some too to compare results.

• Posted

I have taken Prilosec off and on.  I usually stop after a few weeks. I haven't taken it recently. I have been working on gut health for the last month.  I feel better, but my spots keep on coming.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.