trying essential oils for lichen sclerosus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Used restore natural blend oil last night for the first time as an alternative to the steroid ointment. The smell of the product is very strong. Put just a drop or two on my finger tip to apply. It definitely burned the perineum area which is the only place that I can feel any difference in my skin. (If the doc hadn't told me I have LS I never would have known as I don't have the symptoms others report). The burning eventually lessened, but I suspect the tea tree oil caused it. Did wonder (as did my doc) about using that particular oil on a sensitive area of the skin. No burning this morning. Not sure how I will proceed. Wondering about possibly diluting it. Is anyone else using this product? If so how are you reacting to it?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beverly, I cannot use T tree oil as it burns and made things worse. It took days to recover.

Be careful of emuiad as i only found out that contains T tree hence i had a reaction to that.

The best and most gentlest is Lavender Oil I have found but i have never used it directly without being mixed with something else .

Hope you find something that is right for you , as we all seem unique with LS   X

• Posted

susan, thanks for your reply. I just emailed the company and asked if diluting it with lavender oil would help. Hate to throw good money after bad, but maybe I can salvage the bottle by diluting. 

It did not sting badly, but I definitely felt it more than I think would be acceptable. The woman who started the business has LS and came up with the formula which apparently has helped her tremendously.

I suppose I could also try diluting with olive oil or coconut, both of which I already have.

• Posted

Hi there, yes I am using the product and have been using it since the beginning of June. As an experiment I bought both the original version and the new version. I talked to the owner and she recommends The new version as it seems to work faster.  Note: you absolutely must shake the bottle before using otherwise it will feel much stronger than it is supposed to.  I also experienced that feeling you describe in the beginning, however I got used to it and it does give me a feeling of cleanliness, freshness, antibacterial etc. now it feels really good when I get that sensation, usually calms down within 40 to 50 minutes. I have only used on the upper clitoris down the sides toward the space between front and back. I never quite experienced a burning sensation, but rather a minty cool sensation. That’s exactly what it is, the essential oil‘s doing their magic. I have found that it helps relieve the itching and isn’t type of cleanser for me, but in my own experience, it has not helped to unfuse me nor has the natural skin tone returned. I now use clobetasol again (sparingly, and only twice a week -

always wash hands after) since that seems to be the only thing that even remotely helps the skin tone return. When I use them together over the course of the week (I always allow several hours to pass between them) it is definitely helping me. Also I highly recommend bringing in one more oily product to moisturize as I find both to be a little drying. You could try emu oil or coconut oil. Hope this is helpful-

• Posted

Hi lynn,

I just ordered the Restore days ago so I assume it is the latest product. Am not using just tea tree oil; it is an ingredient in the Restore oil. I asked the owner about the less expensive salve as it seemed to have the same ingredients. She advised the LS formula as it is more potent. Says she doesn't sell many of the salve.

I tried a multi-gyn ointment last winter for the internal  itch and that really burned. Saved the tube for the gyn; she said she would not recommend it for menopausal skin, yet women on this site have sworn by it. I ordered it from the UK. More $ down the drain.

My itching is only internal. I don't think it has anything to do with the LS. It is more like BV, but it is here one day, gone for four, etc. Gyn says it's due to fluctuations in estrogen which affects the PH which causes the phantom BV. She also says the lack of estrogen has caused the LS.

If you have been using the Restore for 3 1/2 months with no improvement in the skin that doesn't sound too encouraging to me. Sounds like I also will need to use my steroid ointment which I was really hoping to avoid. I guess the company owner who had the complete reversal hit upon the perfect solution...for her. Maybe we all need to become mad scientists ;-)

I will definitely shake up the bottle ; hadn't thought of that!  Thanks.

• Posted

lynn, unfortunately my response was just intercepted...again. I included the product name as well as another which I have named in the past without a problem. The capitol letter must be the cardinal sin.

• Posted

Beverly, I forgot to mention to you that the tingly strong stuff you are feeling is most likely the peppermint essential oil which is one of the ingredients in that product, the Teatree oil could also be something you feel but it’s more of a strong smell. They are heavily diluted in a mix of carrier oils already 
  • Posted

Hi Beverly, I don't think I would put tea tree onto my skin straight. If you want to use it up, why not try to dilute it with a carrier oil like castor oil or olive oil? Personally if I had experienced what you did using it, it would be in the bin.

I use lavender oil  diluted in castor oil and it has worked for me. I'm nearly clear except for a little whitehead on my perineum. Having said this, we are all different and different things work for different folk.  If you only have mild symptoms maybe you will catch it in time if you get a routine up and running now. Lots of the girls on here aren't so lucky and have a bad time when it flares up. 

Take care of yourself!

• Posted

Well, I decided to stop using the restore oil. It was definitely too harsh for me despite shaking it up and using coconut oil first to protect the skin and using literally less than a drop. Just smeared a tiny bit on my finger. Now that I have stopped I am much more comfortable. It was irritating and drying out the skin. I did email the company re diluting it, but never heard back.

So I'm back to using the Triamcinolone steroid ointment twice a week.

As I've never had any flare-ups, fusing that I can see or major discomfort from LS I'm a little baffled. I was able to see the thin white line though, but that seems to have disappeared. 

If anyone has been helped by restore oil alone I would be interested in hearing about it, but I do want to warn anyone thinking of ordering it that it is very strong despite being natural and it can burn.

• Posted

Beverly,

my symptoms are somewhat different as well. Ive noticed that if i consume alot of sugar, i have flareups. So, i wash with apple coder vinegar and apply castor oil and drink alot of water. It eases the stinging and burning. Tea tree oul is really harsh.

• Posted

I haven't tried those and both sound harsh to me but clearly you are not bothered and are actually helped by them. My last post in this thread was 17 months ago and I have undergone a few changes re the LS, but I'm now just about back to where I first started re treatment. I had to upgrade the level of steroid but am now back to the medium and tried using tacrolimus for a significant period of time, but am taking a break from it. Possibly forever. So for me it's hormone cream with a little nystatin, the medium steroid and coconut oil. If things change I can only imagine my treatment will.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.