Trying for a baby & have just found out I shouldn't use T-Gel!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, 

This is the first discussion I have ever started in a forum! confused    I am having a mega panic this evening after reading some information on the internet about the shampoo that I use... 

Firstly I suppose that I should point out that I suffer from OCD, so am aware that I can tend to blow worries like this out of all proportion. However, we are currently trying for a baby and I have just discovered that you shouldn't use either T-Gel or T-Gel 2 in 1 shampoo when you are (or ar trying to get) pregnant. 

I will of course stop using this immediately - but does anyone know how long it takes for things like this to stop being absorbed / come out of the body. (I presume it is because the medicated shampoo would be absorbed into your blood stream, hence the warning). 

As far as I know at present we are not expecting, but this has really worried me that I may have inadvertently damaged any baby we do conceive and whether we should stop trying for a few months while this leaves my system. 

Is there anyone on this forum who can advise me about this? I will speak to my pharmacist, but I'm a bit concerned they'll just refer me to my drs, which is really difficult to get into and with my ocd worries I am trying not to go to the drs to ask questions as I feel that I am just wasting their valuable time. 

Many thanks in advance for any advice people can give me. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I should talk to your pharmacist, I often ask my pharmacist about things and they are really helpful and I don't have to wait four weeks for an appointment to see them! 
    • Posted

That is good to hear! I wish more people would ask a pharmacist first. Why not ask two, for a second opinion?! We are there to be used and I for one really enjoy speaking to patients and helping with their enquiries. Like you say, no need for an appointment too 😃 and you know we will refer you on to your doctor if need be. 
    • Posted

Thank you for replying to my post. It has really helped to hear that pharmacists don't find people like me a pain! biggrin
  • Posted

Hi there

speaking as a pharmacist, I just wanted to say 'dont panic'! Which I know is easier said than done. We all worry about things we did before we knew we were pregnant, I know I panicked over a single glass of wine I'd had before I knew I was pregnant, but of course, this is fine!

t-gel shampoo contains coal tar which is why the leaflet says don't use in pregnancy, because it is pretty toxic stuff at high concentrations. The thing to remember is that all manufacturers want to limit their liability so this is why the leaflets always appear over cautious. 

It it is sensible to avoid coal tar for the sake of the developing foetus, and with any medicine, weigh up the risks and benefits in pregnancy, but as its a shampoo, most of the active ingredient will be diluted then washed down the drain with water anyway. 

So, don't use it in pregnancy is sensible advice, but equally, if you happen to be pregnant and used it a few times I'm sure this is of no consequence. Just stop using it now you know, if you are TTC! Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you. That has really helped. biggrin Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.