Trying for a baby with possible endometriosis: When to come off pill?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

First of all I should make it clear that I have not been diagnosed with endometriosis, but my mum, aunt, grandma and great aunt were all affected by it (I was an IVF baby and my aunt had stage 4 endo so badly even IVF didn't work). I had a transvaginal ultrasound recently which did not pick up any signs of endo on screen, but I did experience a lot of discomfort in the Pouch of Douglas, which the man said could indicate I might have it.

Before going on the pill at 17 I had four years of heavy, irregular periods which were sometimes very painful, but not always. Since going on the pill I have had no problems at all.

My husband and I are thinking of trying for a baby next year and I would be grateful for any thoughts about when I should come off the pill. I have read that ideally you should stop several months before you want to become pregnant so you can track your cycles, but I'm concerned that if I do that any endometriosis I may have might come back quite severely and make it difficult to conceive.

Grateful for any advice!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.