Trying glycerol for constpation.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I go through phases of constipation where with difficulty I manage to pass very small hard stools for about a week. Recently possibly since being on a different PPI it has worsened. Lactulose has not helped as it usually does after a few days. I bought a pack of glycerine based suppositories. I tried the first one this morning and after about half an hour I felt an urge to go. It was not much more than a false alarm as all that came out was probably the runny glycerine and a few of the usual currants. Two or three more urgent feelings with just wind and a few more currants. I had expected more of a result.

Should it have worked better first time?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If in 24 hours you haven't done much more I recommend taking either an enema or a bisacodyl suppository (which unlike glycerine is a stimulant-irritant which can affect the descending colon as well as the rectum).

• Posted

Thank you. I felt uncomfortable into early afternoon but did nothing more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.