Trying Prednisone another time

Posted , 1 user is following.

I used Prednisone when I had a flare up of my Trigeminal nerve. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia. My neurologist gave me what he referred to as a blast of Prednisone. What that looked like was 80mg a day for 5 days, then down to 60mgs, 40mgs and 20mgs each for 5 days then off. So I was on it for 20 days total. I didn't increase or taper slowly, it was rather quickly. The first couple of times it worked wonderfully, I was so relieved. It calmed down the nerve and made me feel like superwoman. Looking back I think I may have had some sleeplessness and gained a little weight but that was the extent of it. The last time I tried it I didn't get a response to it at all. I'm having a flare up again and thinking about taking it once again.

What I'm wondering is does Prednisone quit working all together? I'm very hesitant to increase the amount to 100mgs. Everything I read doesn't encourage a daily dose greater than 80mg. That sounds like to top in most cases. Also I don't want to subject my system to the steroid if it's not likely to work.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.