Trying rehab

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone. I hope you are all doing ok. I have made the decision to go to a 12 week residential rehab. I don't want to live like this anymore. it's a charity/voluntary rehab but has great reviews. I have tried aa. I have read books. taken campral. My local addiction team are awful. so I'm going for it with rehab. I am going to miss my husband so so much. He has been amazing to me. I want to be a better person for him and for myself.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Great choice Vicky. You have nothing to lose! You can only go up! They will guide and advise you every day. A week? We wait to hear from you eventually😃 best of luck. Robin

• Posted

Hi vicky64718

in order to get the most out of rehab you have to be doing it for the right reasons , you need to be doing it for YOU, not to please other people and once you are there you need to be totally honest (the real hard part) both with yourself and with councilors / therapists and the other participants - the more you put into it the more you will get out of it. it took me four attempts at rehab before i figured this out (slow learner). all the best vicki

• Posted

Wishing you all the best, Vicky.

Before you leave rehab, please be sure to ask them to refer you onto a doctor who can help aid your continuing recovery with anti-craving medication, if they don't have a doctor at the rehab who can do this. Please don't let them just push you out at the end of your time with just an instruction to go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days. When that happens, the relapse rate is quite awful.

With 90 days sobriety behind you, then something like Campral can really help, even if your past experience with it was not good because you couldn't get any meaningful sobriety behind you.

Take all the tools they offer, but be sure to insist on some additional support (other than just AA) if you feel it would be useful to you.

Wishing you well and hope you will comeback to let us know how you got on. Rehabs do often get good reviews because the drinker is in a safe environment there - if they break the rules, they are out. You need to be sure to get support for when you are back in the real-life environment, too. Don't let the support end on the 90th day.

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

It sounds like you are ready and really want to do this.

It would be interesting to hear how you are getting on during your stay there.

I also went to rehab for a 3 week residential stay, so, when you feel able, it would be nice to

compare notes, so to speak!!

I wish you every success in your journey and will be thinking of you.

Good luck and very best wishes to you.

Claire xx

• Posted

thank you so much claire ❤ i will be keeping a daily journal and plan to do a lot of writing. I didn't know i wasnt allowed my phone i need my music but I'm sure I adjust x

• Posted

Music is healing. If they have a radio? I would be lost without listening to music but can easily live without my phone. Anyway, best of luck. Starting this weekend? Robin

• Posted

just not allowed electric devices for health and safety. I go in on Monday the 3rd. thanks Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.