Trying to come off Lorazepam (Atvian) Natural products

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys I am looking for some guidance or suggestions on how to get off Atvian. I am currently taking it 2 times daily at a dose of 0.25mg. Have been on it 3 months since all this anxiety started. Trying to minimize the dose but seem to be getting stomach bloating and shallow breathing issues when I don't take it. Can anybody recommend good natural herbs for an alternative to Lorazepam? I am currently also taking Prozac/Fluoxetine at 20mg per day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would see your doctor about your withdrawal problems to get extra tips on reducing your dose since you are still getting withdrawal symptoms from trying to come off them slowly on your own.  This is the problem with anti depressants.

My doctor tried to get me on them at low dose for neuropathy but I refused.  I flagged my concerns about withdrawal and other side effects, but he brushed my concerns aside and denied you can get withdrawal symptoms at low dose.  I was completely unconvinced because many people on this site report withdrawal problems.  I am a very anxious person too but I would rather stay off any medication for it natural or otherwise.  My best remedy is to try to laugh more and to accept my anxiety.  I am a writer and I lampoon all sorts of commotions in my life by writing limericks.  I do appreciate this may not work for you but a good sense of humour is great for your mood.

• Posted

I would see your doctor about your withdrawal problems to get extra tips on reducing your dose since you are still getting withdrawal symptoms from trying to come off them slowly on your own.  This is the problem with anti depressants.

My doctor tried to get me on them at low dose for neuropathy but I refused.  I flagged my concerns about withdrawal and other side effects, but he brushed my concerns aside and denied you can get withdrawal symptoms at low dose.  I was completely unconvinced because many people on this site report withdrawal problems.  I am a very anxious person too but I would rather stay off any medication for it natural or otherwise.  My best remedy is to try to laugh more and to accept my anxiety.  I am a writer and I lampoon all sorts of commotions in my life by writing limericks.  I do appreciate this may not work for you but a good sense of humour is great for your mood.

• Posted

Have you ever asked your doctor about taking half a tablet? I have to take less than prescribed and I told my doctor that's all I could handle. When I was put on Zantac and diphenhydramine I told my doctor I could no longer take the anti anxiety drug. These other over the counter drugs make me tired so I cut these into smaller pieces too. She told me to take anti anxiety only as needed after that. 

Ask your doctor about using Zantac for stomach problems in the evening instead of Ativan. Zantac makes me very tired and I can skip my anxiety medication. 

There are teas and herbs but they all give me a rash so I haven't tried them for myself in years. 

As the stressful situations in your life go away or diminish you'll be less likely to need prescription medication. I got a very active part time job and while I'm there I forget my stressors. For me the most natural remedy is staying busy. Night time is the worst time  for me so if my stomach acts up I reach for a glass of water and add baking soda. If after a certain amount of time it doesn't help I try saltines. I use Zantac (ranitidine) only at bedtime if nothing else works. 

Also certain foods aggravate my inflamed gut and trick my body into thinking I'm anxious. Stress aggravates the gut so it's a vicious cycle. Pay attention to what you've eaten because it might not manifest itself for 3 days. I kept a food journal for awhile. 

My diet is extremely limited but it's worth it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.