Trying to cope without Zopiclone

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my 5th day without Zopiclone due to waiting for my prescription to come.  Its really hard and I am so tired.  I am also amazed that things are not worse as I have been taking 2 per day for 8 years.  Thankfully my flatmates are away and I can manage the withdrawals without the stress of trying to make out I am fine.  I am eating alot and watching tv but don't feel like doing anything else.  I am just waiting for the prescription to come and then I feel like things will be normal again, I won't fear going to bed (can't sleep).  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi elle

are you not sleeping at all?

usually the withdrawals start gradually going away after about three days, still there but not as intense. 

good luck getting your meds.

i'm in a different place. i have gotten off of 7.5mg a day, using zolpidem, a similar drug, to keep sleeping. Now i'm just on the zolpidem which actually i've been on for about 20 years and i'm at a pretty high dose now, about 25mg a night in two doses, 15mg at bedtime and 10mg around 4am. i'm also on 5mg of diazapam, a doctor put me on that to help me get off the zolpidem but i hate the diazapam, i am now using the zolpidem it was supposed to get me off to help me wean off of it, i was at 10mg diazapam and have made it down to 5.  I want off all the meds, not like i would never take it again for sleep, but i don't want to be taking it every night, but for me the hard part has been going off it, and into the withdrawals. i need to get the courage to just stop taking it.  If i got off it, for whatever reason, for 5 days, i wouldn't go back on. I would take it occasionally but i have been on it so long and i want to be off it most of the time, to cope without it.

good luck to you, when is your prescription supposed to come?

• Posted

Thanks for reply and support.  I am amazed I have not taken it for 6 days (only because I don't have access to it).  I am going to be careful when the script comes - not to overuse).  It is of any consolation, the withdrawals were  bad, but not as bad as I imagined.  I have to wait at least another 5 days before script comes, though I may go the GP before then and come clean about my overuse.  I hope you are ok hope you can reduce yours.  By the way, I did take some Diazapam in the last few days, but like you I did not like it, and I have stopped taking that too.  I must admit I slightly increased my anti-depressants to cope over the last few days - only slightly, and overall I think I am quite pleased how I have handled it.  Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Elle,

If you can manage 5 days without zops then you can manage some more. You are probably over the worst and taking more would only lead you back into dependence - don't do it!!!

Not sleeeping is a hassle but it's better than being addicted to something that will only get worse... and you will sleep when your body tells you, don't worry about not sleeping. Look after yourself and throw that prescription in the bin!

• Posted

Thanks Keith and Jaw.  This is really helping.  No one knows about my dependance, or if they do it has never been discussed or referred to.  I have been completely alone for days, except to go out to buy food, and this is actually helping.  If my flatmates were here (they are both away/on holiday), I know I would not be copeing at all, what with the withdrawals and also trying to appear normal/fine.  It has really made me realise that I would love to live alone - feel so much more relaxed and free, and the real problem is that I cannot afford to do that financially.  At the moment I have increased the intake of anti-depressants - they are sedative ones, so I am self-medicating to cope.  Anyway, being on this site has really helped, thanks alot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.