Trying to decide if Effexor is right for me

Posted , 6 users are following.

Needing a little advice. 

I’ve been in Effexor for 2 weeks after having a horrible time on Prozac. I was on Prozac for a month and a half and got extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor started me on Effexor and my depression went away right away. 

My anxiety has been horrible though. And today was the worst. I had a panic attack at the movies and had to run out. I literally thought I was going to pass out and die. 

I’ve read a lot of different things about the effectiveness of Effexor for anxiety. And it seems like it’s more help for depression than anxiety. Should i keep giving it a go since it helped me so much with my depression? Or stop now?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was on Effexor for over 20 years & have only recently changed to another antidepressant. I would personally advise against taking them if there’s other ones available to you. Main reason being the awful side effects, weight gain (I’m aware a lot of antid s are similar) and awful head shocks. They’re very difficult to describe. If I took my tablets even an hour late they’d happen. Like a buzzing sensation in your head. I slowly titrated off them over a 4 week period & im on my 2nd week completely off them & I’m still getting that sensation. 

• Posted

I've had a horrible time on Prozac too and may switch to Effexor. Two weeks is too soon to tell if it will do the trick, but investigate if you can add Mirtazapine to it. It's a great combo and the Mirtazapine will reduce your anxiety.

• Posted

I came off Effexor & went on mirtazapine. I never found Effexor great for anxiety

• Posted

I currently take venlafaxine and I swear by them. They helped my depression massively and then a little while after started helping my Anxiety also. I don't get any nasty side effects accept night swets. Stick with them as it's a good sign that they have already helped your depression. If they don't help your anxiety it might be worth going back to your doctors so they can prescribe something different to help your anxiety like propranalol, I also take propranalol 20mg twice a day and I'm doing alot better than I was 6 months ago as I was very depressed, anxious and suicidal. I thought their was no hope for me but now I see a light at the end of the tunnel. You will get their, it takes time but please if they have helped your depression don't stop taking them as that's one of your problems sorted.

• Posted

Don’t stop effexor abruptly. Prozac stays in your system for many days and you can’t stop it without side effects but effexor needs to be decreased slowly and under your physician’s supervision.

For what I understand it will take several weeks for you to see the full effects of your medication as it takes time to build up in your system. When I was on effexor I was told up to 3 months to feel the full effects. 

If you have a psychiatrist monitoring you just give him a call. He should be able to walk you through the process. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.