Trying to decipher blood tests

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've been having crazy symptoms such as occasional tingling in the extremities, rib cage pain and sensitive to touch, chest pain and sensitive to touch, sharp achey pains in front of thighs, shortness of breath, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, ear aches, tension headaches, occasional ringing in the ears, occasional cold sensitivity (which is abnormal for me), tmj, bad neck aches that radiate to my shoulder and back, and I've always had issues losing weight and thin hair. Most of these symptoms have been going on for almost three months. About a month ago I went to the ER and had a chest scan and neck scan because the doctor suspected lymphoma but ultimately said my chest was clear and neck only had a few swollen nodes but basically told me to keep an eye on it. He said my tsh was high (7.26) so he suspected hypothyroidism. I went to an endo who pretty much told me she thought I had it or even hashimotos and my tests were normal -__-

However, my antibodies test was negative. I have heard that means you can have hashimotos? Is this true? I am crazy nervous because im convinced I have lymphoma. I see an ent in 3 days and I'm requesting a biopsy to be safe and we'll see what they say. I'm just so sick of not knowing what's going on.  Also, has anyone had these symptoms?

Also, side note, I have noticed that it's almost like I have a flare up or something... I'll feel good for like 2 weeks and then I'll wake up one morning feeling awful again and there always seems to be a new symptom. I've also noticed that around the time that I'm feeling bad, I have strange acne. I'm not very prone to breakouts. I'll wake up with tiny little white heads on my face and I barely have to try to pop them but there's usually a good amount and they come back through out the day. It's strange. And then the days I feel good there's no acne. I've been trying to pay attention to patterns. I'm desperate.

Any comments help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like Costochondritis to me. That is what I have and have several of your symptoms! 
    • Posted

Really? Is it pretty painful for you? Because this is terrible. What causes it? 
    • Posted

And does it feel like you're short of breath and constantly feeling like you've got to get phlegm out?

• Posted

I don't feel short of breAth. But this is what Costo is. Viral: Costochondritis commonly occurs with viral respiratory infections because of the inflammation of the area from the viral infection itself, or from straining from coughing. Costochondritis Overview

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone, or sternum. The condition causes localized chest pain that you can reproduce by pushing on the cartilage in the front of your ribcage. Costochondritis is a relatively harmless condition and usually goes away without treatment. The cause is usually unknown, but may happen from increased activity involving the arms.

Costochondritis  (with unknown cause) is a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents. It accounts for 10% to 30% of all chest pain in children. Annually, doctors evaluate about 650,000 cases of chest pain in young people ages 10 to 21. The peak age for the condition is ages 12-14.

Costochondritis is also considered as a possible diagnosis for adults who have chest pain. Chest pain in adults is considered a potentially serious sign of a heart problem by most doctors until proven otherwise. Chest pain in adults usually leads to a battery of tests to rule out heart attack and heart disease. If those tests are normal and your physical exam is consistent with costochondritis, your doctor will diagnose costochondritis as the cause of your chest pain. It is important, however, for adults with chest pain to be examined and tested for heart disease before being diagnosed with costochondritis. It is often difficult to distinguish between the two without further testing. The condition affects females more than males (70% versus 30%). Costochondritis may also occur as the result of an infection or as a complication of surgery on your sternum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.