Trying to fall asleep and waking up with shortness of breath.

Posted , 41 users are following.

I don't know what's happening but the last two nights I go to bed and spend half an hour with severe anxiety thinking about bad outcomes of some of the pains I get in my body. So I try to fall asleep and then I suddenly awaking really short of breath like I need to try and focus to get myself out of it !? And that's when I am really tight up before I go to sleep. What's happening ? There is suggestions of heart failure and all sorts. Please help

7 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So I hope I can help .lay on your bed in fetal position and breathe deeply.Imagine you are breathing in through your feet and up your legs into your belly.No matter how your feelings try to take you back to thinking the worst.Visualization will help you distract .If anxiety is a problem you should practice the relaxtation exercises on this link on this page on the right so you can be familiar with this action when you need it.You will get better at it .The tension release will benefit you well in these trying times.I used to lay awake like this as well.It seemed to feel right .It felt odd to do relaxation breathing.I still wake up a lot but it no longer has a strong hold on me as with the breathing I just immediatly fall back asleep.now that feels normal.
  • Posted

Anexity does not affect ur heart even if ur mind is telling you that theres so many symptoms with anxiety from ur jaws to chest pains num in face neck pulling its horrible talk to ur doctor about ur symptoms they should be able to help i use to think thw same i wouldnt even get sleep from shaking and sweating heart beating rapidly and i suffer from high blood pressure
  • Posted

It's not heart failure. It's all in your mind. I have the same exact problem most of the time. Whenever I get severe anxiety and I close my eyes to go to bed all of a sudden I don't feel myself breathing right or not breathing at all then I wake up gasping for air or hyperventilating. It's just anxiety. Anxiety does typically get worse at night. Most the time I'll wake up with tightness in my chest and shortness of breath and my chest hella hurts. Even when you sleep you can be having anxiety. It sucks and is scary I know. Just know you're not alone and you're NOT dying.
    • Posted

It's horrible and I can feel it get worse and don't want To go on medication sad , I'm 16 and I'm not living my life properly , just feel like there is a massive split from the planet to myself sad but thanks anyway , I love this page because it does make me feel better
    • Posted

I know how that feels. You just need to get used to the fact that it's anxiety and learn hey I'm okay. It takes awhile to get there but you will get there. I hate medication too I refuse to take them unless I absolutely need it.
    • Posted

unti take herbs , only than antibodtics   last dose week ago, last 2 days wake with heart beating fast nnshot winded and spacey take xanax  n ok     been taking my passion flower did last nigt n ginger, this morning did  blood pressure  n heart rate was fine have u had this to happn
    • Posted

Hi I have the same feels like my life was dragged out of me as I'm trying to sleep cold sweet on the toilet it's crazy just don't know what to do i do feel a bit better reading your posts it all started for me in 2005 I got food poisoning but did not know so I flapped 1st panic attack.

Now I get them once maybe twice a week I hate it up all night worried to back to sleep as it might hit again any hints tips would be ace thanks

• Posted

Wow i jus did that i was tryin to sleep and when i did fall asleep i woke gasping for air anxiety is SCARY but i thought i was the only one
    • Posted

Hi ,

M dying with this type of feeling ....

Kindly ping me on WhatsApp +91 8826608296 ...

I feel short of breath when I m just about to sleep .... It's killing me

• Posted

Theres a couple of things you could do. Take a magnssium glycinate before bedtime. It calm the nerves and aids sleep. Secong go on utube and get a anxiety meditation, healing meditation or sleep hypnosis and play it. The last five minutes before bed you ar to think only of things to be grateful for, wheather you want to or not they are there just acknowledge them. Also you are going to say ....i am healing and i am going to have a restful sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. You are not going to doubt this or negate it with any toxic thinking. Its five minutes if yiur time. Then okay the chosen video close your eyes and only focus on the worde from the chosen video. Your poisoning your mind before bed and thats one of the orst times because you are tired and this toxic self talk goes into your sub cincous because thats hiw it works. Its similiar to self hypnosis whe your about to drift off to sleep. So follow the above and see how that works.when you awaken immediately be grateful for the beatiful day ahead of you, dont start self assessment or mind games with yourself before bed or waking up.. Two worst times. its like drinking poison.worrying is counter productive period it will never make you more alert or solve any problem in your life. The mind solves problems in a state of calm. Thats a new gift you need to give yourself. Before bed and when you wake up. 
    • Posted

Thanks maybe this will work,I stop breathing when I try to sleep.very scary .anxiety never thought I would have this .😣

• Posted

Hey Ron,

What's your status with this problem? I've been experiencing exactly the same thing tonight. I toss and turn all night trying to fall asleep... Then finally as my brain is starting to drift into sleep... I shoot awake feeling out of air and have to sit up and breathe and focus for a few seconds. Chest also feels tight when it happens .

• Posted

Hey i would like to know are you okay now? Im sacred this is also happeninh to me.. I hope you share to me what did you do to handle it i hope youre okay now
    • Posted

Hi i been going through this as well for the passed 4 months. I havent been sleeping ill lay in bed for hours feeling like im drifting off and then awake again. Its annoying. I used to be good in sleeping like 8 to be 0 hours now i can barely do 5 a night. I do think i suffer fromm anxiety but this is really taking a tole on me. I love to sleep and when your trying to get to sleep and u cant its the worse feeling. Any tips?
    • Posted

I feel the same I miss my good nights of sleep. I love to sleep too and need at least 7 to 8 hours a night.  I start to drift off to sleep then have a feeling of having to catch my breath. Wakes me up every time then have to try to sleep again. Happens about 4 or 5 times a night. Really sucks. I don't know what is causing this yet but hoping it will pass. Been going on for about a year now. I've noticed sleeping on my side is not quite as bad but still happens.Have you had any success with your sleeping yet? If i find any good solutions I will post back.

• Posted

I know how it looks like and I understand you. It happens to me almost every night, you know how it is. Sometimes you think everything is normal and you trying to fall asleep and then something wakes you up and you are fighting for breath, 3-4 seconds maybe. It is all about to understand that everything is alright and you will fall asleep. But, I still think that i must visit doctor. I am 24. We can talk more about that, I will visit my doctor next week hope so. The problem may be connected with rest, I know that I am not sleeping enough and I should sleep more but...thats it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.