Trying to fall asleep and waking up with shortness of breath.

Posted , 41 users are following.

I don't know what's happening but the last two nights I go to bed and spend half an hour with severe anxiety thinking about bad outcomes of some of the pains I get in my body. So I try to fall asleep and then I suddenly awaking really short of breath like I need to try and focus to get myself out of it !? And that's when I am really tight up before I go to sleep. What's happening ? There is suggestions of heart failure and all sorts. Please help

7 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been diagnosed with gad. I have health anxiety bad. I wake some nights and I jump straight out of my bed to run outside for air. Like a flight mode. I will splash cold water on my face. I can't breath. Heart racing, shakes. It's a terrible feeling. Dr did the sleep apnea test. He also told me to document it. If it's near my cycle, fluids build up and when you lay down it goes under your lungs like you are having a drowning feeling. I have them anytime I'm worked up. My husband is so used to it he sleeps right through it and I'm scared I'm dying and he is asleep. Makes me mad lol. Has anybody else felt the same way? I also read it could be heart related which fuels my health anxiety. I don't try to google anything. I also have cut all caffeine out too.

• Posted

I just did that tonight .. I do it most nights and I googled to see if anyone else goes through it .. found your comment and I thought "wow that's exactly how I feel" so relieving to know that I'm not the only one in the world because it sure does seem like I am the only one in my town or that I know .. everyone just tells me it's anxiety and all in my head. I suffer from anxiety every day .. been getting better at it but it really does drain you and is the most scary feeling. I hope you can over come it , and sleep better .. I usually put on a nice soothing cartoon to have that in my mind while trying to go to sleep and it helps and I pray and breathe . 

• Posted

Guys what is the medical name of this problem. is this sleep apnea?

Thanks

Vikas

• Posted

Thank God. I have been experiencing this for days. Was scared cause maybe twas some respiratory problem or such. Didn't know anxiety could trigger this one. How did you cope up to this one? Hoping you could answer. I also felt a little headache by the way. Had you also felt it after that one including the chest pain and the dryness if throat.

• Posted

Hi all

Be been suffering from health anxiety the past 3 months which was 6 weeks after having my baby. 

The physical symptoms scared me always (chest pain, arm pain, nausea etc)  and have resulted in me running to the ER a few times thinking I was having a heart attack. I've had a fair few normal ECG's, bloods etc and was told there was nothing with my heart but yet when I get these symptoms that's all I think of is that there is something wrong. In saying that I've been managing quite well lately and have been sleeping well etc until tonight

When my anxiety was at its worst I was getting that jumping feeling as I was dozing off but it's been ages since I've got that. Last night for NYE I'd a heavy night of drinking. Naturally exhausted from it but as I was falling asleep tonight I got something I've never experienced before. As I was dozing off I got this massive pressure on my chest it only lasted a few seconds but during that time I tried calling out to my husband for help but I couldn't get any words out. It was the scariest thing I've experienced to the extent that I thought this was the end and now of course I'm so scared to go asleep. Plus I've the added symptoms now of chest neck and jaw discomfort which is freaking me out too! So as much as I'm thinking this is just another thing related to my anxiety I can't seem to accept it and feel like running to the ER again to get some reassurance. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance 

• Posted

I had the same symptoms that you’ve said, jaw pain, chest pain, nausea etc. I’ve even gone on the doctors because of it, but believe it or not, it’s anxiety. Anxiety is powerful at times that it takes a toll on you. It can make you feel symptoms of a heart attack when you’re not. It's because our heart beat gets too elevated and our chest gets inflamed so you need to monitor your heart rate so it's not too high. Try breathing exercises, take a deep breath in and push your stomach in, hold for 5 seconds and let out slowly through your mouth, repeat 5x. Drink chamomile tea, it actually does help & if you feel arm, jaw or chest pain, maybe try ibuprofen a antiflammation. It could be that your tensed up from anxiety & stress. You’re not alone. No one is alone here. 

• Posted

Here it is again, 2:14am, and I'm having this thing happen to me again. For me this all started over a year ago after a massive binge of drinking and other substances. 3 ECGs, stress an blood tests, healthy as a horse but still get anxiety and now getting random panic attacks. I've arrived at the conclusion that it's somehow related to my acid reflux (GERD), anyone else have it?

• Posted

Try taking 1/2 or full cup yoghurt before bed. It could give good sleep as well as soothes gastrointestinal. I am taking it and noticed the change.

Also keep away from repititive thoughts, calm your mind. No caffeine after 4 PM.

• Posted

So glad to see I’m not the only one with this panic and anxiety BS. I’m 20 years old and about 3 months ago I had my first panic attack due to caffeine overdose, woke up the next morning with a resting heart rate of 150bpm scared myself into a panic attack called 911, of corse everything turned out to be in my head, I then suffered panic 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks and then went to the doctors to have EKG done (heart was normal blood was normal) constantly checking my pulse, awareness making me think every little thing I feel is leading to DEATH..

since then I have not come in contact with caffeine, I’m an extremely mentally strong individual, I’ve already been able to 99% overcome my panic feelings with little help HOWEVER anxiety is now taking a massive toll on my life due to Depression, extrem awareness, sleep difficulties, never ending awareness of my pulse, anything means death, and exhaustion. And as of the last 3 nights I have had a new symptom of waking up with pounding heart and out of breath... honestly the more this takes a toll on me the more I’m losing confidence in life, depression is starting to sink in with very very minor suicidal thoughts as every now and then I accidentally picture a gun to my head (I WILL NEVER DO THAT SO DONT WORRY)

Do any of y’all think anti depressants could help all this?.. honestly don’t want to take those but my sister use to take them for both depression and anxiety, she said it got to the point where it helped so much that she didn’t have to take them anymore. Thanks for any help y’all could provide me! 

• Posted

Hi Brandon I hope you’re feeling better as of late… But I thought I’d tell you what I have been taking that helps me calm down and get less anxious because I had a problem sleeping just when I’m about to nod out I jump out of bed because I feel like I’m not breathing and trying to catch my breath and it’s very annoying and scary. Anyway I started taking L glutamine and a few other extra amino acid’s and the problem went away! Give it a try before you try anything else and see if this helps calm you
    • Posted

I appreciate the help Mariav1011, I’ll try it tonight and let you know how it went for me! Thank you!
    • Posted

Yes Brandon try taking amino acid’s before you go to sleep even if it’s a protein shake that has all the amino acids in take one extra L glutamine that’s what help me a lot and magnesium with calcium also is coming another vitamin they really really like to help me sleep at night is called melatonin One of those will help you sleep much better too so that’s what I do and I’ve never had a problem cents believe it or not! And sometimes it’s not good to overthink and make yourself sick either so try not to think about it because remember one thing you always wake up the next morning so this is not gonna kill you.
  • Posted

I 2 have same problem. Is your problm fixed ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.