Trying to figure out if my pain is from my submandibular gland/related to EBV

Posted , 1 user is following.

I’ve been having some symptoms for the past week and am wondering if this sounds like it’s an infection of my submandibular gland.

A bit of backstory: I’ve been struggling on and off for the past eight months with EBV flares. I get tired, feverish, raspy throat, swollen nodes. Usually I know that telltale sluggishness, but don’t feel that way currently and no fever either.  I also have a bottom wisdom tooth that had been irritating my gum for the past two weeks, however it’s not bothering me anymore as I’ve been irrigating it and doing salt water rinses.

When I first experienced sharp pain under my jaw I thought it was related to the gum/tooth issue. My ear also felt full and was ringing, and the lymph nodes in my neck on that side felt a bit sore. But the soreness under my jaw, where I believe the submandibular gland is located, feels different than a lymph node. It’s quite a sharp pain but only hurts to the touch and I don’t feel a specific lump with I do with a node. The pain/inflammation has caused a feeling of tightness in my neck in general.

My voice feels a bit raspy and my tonsils look a bit up as well. I’ve tried to debunk the issue as an ear infection, but my ear doesn’t really hurt, just feels full and is ringing. I know wisdom teeth can cause swollen lymph nodes when inflamed but the area has gone back down and I don’t see any redness, swelling, or pus in my mouth, nor does my neck look swollen. It just kind of has the sensation that it is.

As I stated before I struggle with EBV flares and read that the virus likes to remain latent in the salivary glands and can caused salivary issues.

Does this sound like a submandibular gland issue? Or just a swollen lymph node? Has anyone had the sensation I described? I’m making a doctors appointment but am wondering if I should make a dentist appointment as well, even though my pain and inflammation there have subsided inside my mouth. 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.