Trying to find 1mg tables of Prednisolone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking preds for over 7 years now for GCA/PMR, and have found that the ideal dose for me is 6mg per day, which was fine when I lived in the Uk as 5mg and 1mg were available to me.

Last year my husband and I retired to Madeira, Portugal, mainly for the climate and relaxing way of life here. The problem I have is that 1mg preds are not available here , only 5 and 10 mg. So can anyone tell me the best way to coninue taking 6mg a day. I have tried  cutting a 5mg pill up, but it can only be cut into four which means increasing the dose slightly which I am loathe to do and decreasing  the dose at the moment is not an option.

Any suggestions please. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You could try and see if 5+1 and a bit taken on alternate days with 5mg is adequate, 5+/5+/5 repeated is closer. It really doesn't have to be accurate and the same every day.

They MUST be able to either get 1mg tablets or a liquid formulation - what do they do for children who wouldn't be put on such a high dose?

Do you have chemists who compound medications? Chemists here in Italy will make up any dose you want - you get a prescription for the high dose version plus prescriptions for the equal total amount but as the dose you want. For example: my husband needed 2mg warfarin, here they only have 5mg, 2.5mg was too much. He got a script for x tablets of 5mg, plus scripts for the number of 2mg tablets it is possible to make conveniently from that amount. The pharmacist grinds the 5mg tablets and weighs them into capsules - result 2mg doses. 

Alternatively - do you visit the UK at intervals and have a helpful GP there? You could get some 1mg pred in the UK - making sure the use-by date is long enough. I did that at first when I moved here. It's cheap enough to get privately if a GP will write you prescription. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen, thats for your reply. I did stockpile before we moved here and had enough for 9 months which are now running out. We have no plans to visit the UK in the near future as most friends and family want to come here to visit. 

Yesterday I tried 5mg, awful day so back up today. Our local chemist is very helpfu  in the village and one of     the chemists speaks very good english, so I will enquire as to whether your suggestion is possible here. 

With a population of only 250,000 here, the consultants on the island have seen only a couple of cases of GCA/PMR so really do not understand the problem of decreasing very slowly.

Can you get 1mg tablets in Italy?

• Posted

Our region is also only about 500,000 - but they are very good at PMR and the local doctors are VERY keen on slow reduction! It is only nominally Italy - it is the northern German-speaking autonomous region and very different from the rest of the country in almost every way! 

Yes, I do get 1mg tablets because I am on Lodotra, a delayed release form of pred, which can't be cut and is made in 5,2 and 1mg tablets.

But you know, 1mg and the 1.25mg you get by cutting a 5mg tablet are not so different, 6mg/6.25mg is really hardly worth worrying about - they are both well below the physiological dose, the amount of corticosteroid made by the body and which is essential to life! If you don't take that 0.25mg your body will make its equivalent to top up the dose. It really isn't going make a significant difference - except in your imagination!

• Posted

Lindylulu, have you tried mail order?
    • Posted

I have tried the internet but  they either want a prescrition or they don't post to Madeira.

• Posted

Can you get it posted to someone who will forward it to you?
    • Posted

Lindylulu, we live in the states and our daughter gets meds out of Canada for our dogs there. Because of the price of meds in the states many people are buying products in Canada, 🙂

• Posted

Not sure how they would get preds without UK prescription!
    • Posted

I have checked Canada out and you are right they are quite cheap there compared to some countries, but again cannot    get them without a local prescription, but thanks for your suggestion.
    • Posted

I'm sure I posted this already but the post is not here.  Please be careful when ordering from a Canadian source.  There are online pharmacies claiming to be Canadian which are actually selling fake products.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.