Trying to find better pain relief

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I 66, waiting for a hip replacement and taking big doses of codiene for pain relief. The problem is that codiene makes me extremely constipated which brings me even more pain. I am having to take lots of laxitives to counteract the side effects from the codiene. I have weaned myself off it but now am in full pain mode, Ive tried taking co-codomal which does work,and doesent seem to have too many side effects, having to make it it up in liquid for to drink means I have to get up to the loo a lot during the night and you will probably appreciate how hard it is to get comfortable again. I would be so grateful if anyone has experienced this and managed to resolve it. I am seeing the surgeons on the 19th so hopefully wont have to wait too long  for the surgery.

Regards

Cath

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Appleblossom.  I sympathise with your plight.  I too suffer from constipation due to Diverticular Disease and the Co-codamol which I take for arthritis exacerbate the problem.  I take physillium husk every day.  You can get a cheap version from Amazon or get Regucol or Lepicol from Holland and Barrett.  It's just a fibre supplement, no chemicals and it works for me.

Good luck, Cels.

• Posted

Thank you for the kind responses I am seeing my GP on Monday to talk about better pain controll and will use a combination of chemical and herbal remedies to see if it works better. I will find out how long I have to wait for a hip replacement so will probably need some help and info before the op. Merry Xmas to all

Cath

• Posted

Good luck with your appointment on Monday.  In addition to any pain meds the doctors recommend, you may like to try some natural anti inflammatory remedies to help too.  Ginger is fantastic for reducing inflammation, and therefore pain.  I drink ginger tea (you can either make it yourself by steeping fresh ginger in hot water and adding lemon juice and honey to taste, or you can buy ginger tea from health food shops) I also mash up fresh ginger either in a blender or grate it, then mix it with body oil and massage it into the inflamed joint.  Works a treat.  It doesn't remove pain altogether but it really does take the inflammation down a lot so that I have a deep ache rather than a flaring pain.  A local homeopath also recommended frankinsence - I bought a little bottle of essential oil and mix it with a 'carrier' oil, like sweet almond or even baby oil, then again massage it in.  It wasn't expensive and its very soothing.  If you have a homeopathic health food shop locally, pop in and ask for a consultation, they're very good at listening and a good one won't just sell you a pile of rubbish.  Mine was very patient and discouraged me from buying useless expensive much hyped wonder pills and potions etc., and instead made a lot of common sense.  I googled ginger and frankinsence and both are proven anti inflammatories with no adverse side effects.  Good luck hon xx 
    • Posted

Hi, I want to wean myself off Naproxen, and have just been advised to try Tumeric tablets, which I have just started to take.  I understand it will take at least 2 months to take effect, if at all, before I can try to come of Naproxen.  Have you any knowledge of the tumeric route?
    • Posted

Hi Carole

I wish I knew.......I wouldnt mind coming off naproxen and onto something like Tumeric.....I'll be following this with interest to see what happens

Love

Eileen    UK

• Posted

Coincidentally Carole I've just started taking turmeric supplements, something one of my doctors recommended.  The active ingredient is curcumin which is stated to be a powerful anti inflammatory and anti oxidant.  The herbalist advised to seek out capsules with a high level of curcumin as turmeric the spice only has about 5% of the active ingredient.  Too early to give any feedback only been taking them for about 4 or 5 days but there are no side effects so even if they don't work no harm done I guess.  To be honest I'll try anything once to alleviate this awful pain.
  • Posted

Unfortunately appleblossom, Co-codamol is codeine and paracetamol and is just as bad for constipation issues. I couldnt stomach it at all.  Have you tried Tramadol?  It's not recommended for long term use as it's quite addictive but as you are waiting for replacement surgery it may be useful in the short term.  For the constipation I found figs and prunes had the best results, the chemical based laxatives gave me issues, I was varying between severe constipation and severe diarrhoea, wouldnt settle down at all.  Hope you get the surgery swiftly to relieve your pain issues.
  • Posted

Hi Appleblossom

I do sympathise with you...I've had 2 THR's the second one ending in a fracture that wont heal.....not because of the THR but because I have osteoporosis.....Just to mention that bit of it. NOT THE THRwink

I also have spinal problems and have pain which I'm trying to control

I was given codeine and I only took small doses 15mg x 2 a day but that was enough to cause constipation. I was then put on iron tablets which made it even worseeek  I got the results of the blood tests today and I can come off the ironcheesygrin

I find the best thing for me is prune juice......I drink it but you have to do it regularly......not just think Oh I'm OK now and stop!!!! This is the voice of experience speakingwink

Alol meds affect different people different ways

I found tramadol spaced me out.....but I know other people who use them with no side effects. Hopefully you wont have long to wait.....what about our GP meantime.....can they not suggest any othere pain killers?

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Hi Cath, I take Naproxen twice day together with a stomach settler, but I don't think I have as much pain as you.  It seems to work most of the time, but I still live in hope that there might be a more natural way of supressing pain.  Good luck with the hip replacement.
  • Posted

Well Cath, I have been on the waiting list for my hip replacement surgery now for over 12 months, which is a disgrace. I am on morphine since June for pain relief, it does help, but have had to increase the dose a few times, I am also on a low dose of codine which I take with paracetimol four times daily. They do make you very constipated, and also effect my tasebuds. I am going for my pre-op on the 23rd so hopefully it will be very soon in Jan. I wish you all the best.

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary

That is as you say disgrceful.....over a year   eek

I thought there was a limit....something like 3 or 4  months?

I take codeine and I agree they are constipating

Even at 15mg twice aday {usually}

I hope you can decrease the morphine a bit soon. It is good ....I've been on it for short times but very addictive

Take care

Love

Eileen   UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.