Trying to gain weight without raising cholesterol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm trying to gain weight having lost about half a stone and now having a bmi of less than 18.

However, recent blood tests show my cholesterol to be quite high (190 for max normal of 200). The HDL is 67 which again is at the top end, but I think this is the "good" cholesterol (it says max of 70).

I don't want my cholesterol to go any higher but I don't know what I can eat (apart from avocados and nuts) that will help me put on weight without raising it any more.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My cholestrol is about 5 and as you get older it can rise, that is why we are given medications to keep our heart fit and our bllod in good order.

If your BMI is a low 18 I would suggest you talk to your GP and they will watch over your weight 

Talk to your GP

BOB

• Posted

Thanks, I'm not in the UK at the moment. I've had boodtests and everything apart from my Vitamin D level was normal so the doctor was not unduly concerned and told me to try to eat more to put weight back on. However, healthcare is expensive here, so I'm trying to work on this on my own. I'll check with my GP in the UK when I'm back.

• Posted

The weight will come on gradually over time just be patient. White rice bread pasta n sauces are all good calories. Salmon hake meat. Crisps. Chocolate. It's ok to have a snack of crisps and chocolate in moderation. Popcorn. All the calories will add up. The fish n rice are all very healthy if you wanna stick to the that. You can also try some protein shakes to add in. Raisins have high calorie content too and are healthysmile

• Posted

Thanks. Guess I need to be patient...

But nice to have an excuse to have a bit of chocolate now and then smile

• Posted

What country are you at? 

Try eating bananas, raisins and dates for putting weight and also fiber.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.