Trying to get a diagnosis.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, apologies if I rant new to this and need to get this off my chest.

?I've had lower back pain for around 4 years or so and feel like I've been on all the tablets available from every doctor possible. I'm currently on 15mg of codeine which I can take in 1,2's or 4 tablets on bad days alongside 50mg of Amitriptyline. I've recently been referred to the Chronic pain clinic and round 2 of Physio and now after one appointment with Physio and an assessment the physiotherapist thinks its Fibro, Joint hypo mobility and Ibs, I've been asking the doctors for months if It could be Fibro, If Physio are now saying this is a possibility can I pursue it further with them? I do get pain in other places but It's at random times and only lasts for around half hour in total. I just need an idea of what it can be, I feel like I'm at a loss, wanted to start a family already and I'm terrified its not a possibility on all this medication. 24 by the way, thank you in advance.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

like you I suffer from lower back pain, this all started in 1999 when I was 39. I have had every procedure going many of them very painful, and I can honestly tell you that I feel like a crash test dummy!!!

To cut a long story short in my experience the doctors will carry on guessing and you will keep on paying for the privilege.

I have now had 18 epidural injections they are quite hit and miss it seems the more it hurts going in (I mean the quartertone ETC. they give you a local ascetic so you don't feel the needle going in) the better the result I have had pain free summers due to epidural's (as long as I don't do anything dumb which is hard for me)

In my experience the best thing that you can do is have an MRI. scan that is painless and non invasive. The machine takes pictures of your body in horizontal slices allowing the experts (Not the GP's) to see exactly what is happening in your body.

In my case I have 1 disk completely squashed from an accident but I also have degenerative disk disease.

This cupped with a narrow spinal canal means that any kind of operation is out of the question.

That doesn't mean that my life is over I just have to adjust my thinking, I can still SCUBA dive swim and generally teach my grand children bad habits;-)

Don't let the GP's carry on guessing they mean well but they haven't got X-ray vision ask for a referral.

Where drugs are concerned everyone is different however for me I only medicate when absolutely necessary I find that Tramadol 100mg twice a day/ Diazepam 5mg 3 times a day and Gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day brings the flare ups under controll. (be careful of the Tramadol it can be addictive if taken for long periods)

I hope things work out for you back pain is a miserable condition everyone you discuss it with has also got a "bad back" sometimes I wish I had a broken arm at least people would make allowances because there is something visual to alert them that all is not well.

There I have out ranted you

Wishing you all the best for the future (and you have got one)

Gary

Guernsey Channel Islands 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.