Trying to get breast reduction on NHS

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I'm 27 and had big boobs ever since I can remember, I'm wearing a bra size 36G. But it's small on me and I measured myself and if my measurement is correct I should b a 38I. For one thing is a 36 band bra is just right so a 38 would be too big and I'm too embarrassed to go get measured by a professional.

Anyway a year ago I visited my doctor and told her a bout my problem with my boobs being too big for my frame and that it hurts my back, shoulders, leaves marks on shoulders, I'm very depressed and have rashes under breasts, and can't exercise as its so uncomfortable. Also it effects my social life as I hate people staring and making comments. I asked her if I could have surgery on the NHS, she said no that it wasn't available on the NHS anymore ans she prescribed me anti depressants and told me to strengthen my back muscle and go counselling. I knew counselling wouldn't help me as the problem would still be there. A month later I spoke with her on the phone still in tears like I was a month ago an she was still adamant, so I gave up.

Now a year on I'm still very depressed and decided to try again so I rang PALS ( patient advice and liaison service) run by NHS, and they said that I stand a good chance as its effecting my mental state and she knew people who have had breast enlargement on NHS. Shealso advised me to get a second opinion with a different doctor on Thursday afternoon, any suggestions on what to say and how to start the conversation?

sorry for the long post

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A good beginning stage is to see a plastic surgeon for some exhortation. They have for the most part observed numerous patients with comparative issues and you shouldn't make you feel embarrassed. In spite of the fact that there are these days confinements on having this done on the NHS, a few criteria may qualify, for example, back agony, sore regions under the bosoms and so on. Your GP should know the criteria and can exhortation you on this.

Breast reduction surgery unfortunately is not paid for by the NHS in majority of the regions. In some special cases where extra funding is granted by the local authority, patients need to fit into very strigent criteria.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.