Trying to get diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Did anyone's gp take bloods into account when trying to get diagnosed my sodium was 146 (range 135 - 145 ) not mega high bicarbonate 12 (range 22 - 29 ) when i look them up both point to "could be cushings , my potassium says storage changes not sure that means (they were private bloods .

9am cortisol high and 12am.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My gp (General Practioner) took blood tests but not the right one. I did my own research undiagnosed for a couple of years and my symptoms became extremely acute. I asked for a morning serum cortisol, she had missed that one test.  My tests were off the charts too high, clearly pointing to the problem. The UFC (24 hour urine) confirmed. They usualy require 3 diagnosis from at least 2 different tests types. Sometime cortisol can be unusually high, if stress conditions, pregnancy, athletes, ... 

• Posted

Did u get a cortisol saliva test at any point? 
    • Posted

no my gp never did this i am going to ask him on monday for a referral to a endo 
  • Posted

Did either of you get a cortisol saliva test? 
    • Posted

I take saliva coritol tests every few months now. My results are very low now. I like the UFC because I find the exact number of a diurnal period is accurate. I was diagnosed with recurrent cushings. I had 2 surgeries and finally Gamma Knife radiation. My numbers are good if anything I may need steroids before too long. I take replacement Thyroxine, Testosterone, and Growth Hormone. 

• Posted

Oh wow. I just did the cortisol saliva test and it came back very high. over 1,000, so my doc had me do the UFC, I just turned it in today so I'm hoping sometime next week I will get the results. Do you know if oral birth control effects the saliva test? I had started taking them because of irregular bleeding with the nexplanon implant in my arm. 
    • Posted

The results it is always important to note the ranges. On my tests the results should be < .112 mcg (or ug) and my last one was at .0062 ug. do you know the ranges for your saliva tests? it is sometimes different for different labs. my understanding is that "oral" birth control could affect the results, but your dr should be able to answer that one.  endocrinologist is important to help.  .112="" mcg="" (or="" ug)="" and="" my="" last="" one="" was="" at="" .0062="" ug.="" do="" you="" know="" the="" ranges="" for="" your="" saliva="" tests?="" it="" is="" sometimes="" different="" for="" different="" labs.="" my="" understanding="" is="" that="" "oral"="" birth="" control="" could="" affect="" the="" results,="" but="" your="" dr="" should="" be="" able="" to="" answer="" that="" one.=""  endocrinologist="" is="" important="" to="">
    • Posted

The range was supposed to be < or = .009

yea my endo is the one that ordered the tests. i just totally forgot to mention it when they called me i was just so freaked out. i have been doing all this research about cushings because i'm so nervous. do the birth control pills also affect the urine test ? or=".009" yea="" my="" endo="" is="" the="" one="" that="" ordered="" the="" tests.="" i="" just="" totally="" forgot="" to="" mention="" it="" when="" they="" called="" me="" i="" was="" just="" so="" freaked="" out.="" i="" have="" been="" doing="" all="" this="" research="" about="" cushings="" because="" i'm="" so="" nervous.="" do="" the="" birth="" control="" pills="" also="" affect="" the="" urine="" test="">

yea my endo is the one that ordered the tests. i just totally forgot to mention it when they called me i was just so freaked out. i have been doing all this research about cushings because i'm so nervous. do the birth control pills also affect the urine test ? >

• Posted

hi my cortisol saliva test was 13100 pg/ml the range was 1800-14500 pg/ml do you think that was high?
    • Posted

Well based on the range they gave u you fall into it. It's in different units than mine was

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.