Trying to get over Gastritis naturally

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've was diagnosed (endoscopy) with mild gastritis in my lower stomach about 2 years ago and recently it's got worse. I now get a stronger pain and sometimes it spreads around the lower rib cage. I guess I haven't helped myself with drinking the odd coffee and eating meals containing tomatoes, either of which are not good for the condition. What I would like to tap into here is advice regarding managing the condition and hopefully giving the stomach a chance to repair itself.

What are the major irritants apart from caffeine, tomatoes and chocolate that I should avoid?

Has anyone managed the condition to the point where it has gone away?

I sometimes find drinking lots of water or a glass of milk seems to provide some temporary relief. What helps you?

If I did decide to take medication what would people recommend to take short term to maybe help the recovery process along?

How important is proper diet to getting over this completely?

Any help would be really appreciated, many thanks smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Also take probiotic yogurt that will soothe the gastric mucosa. 
  • Posted

Hi f41112

You really have to avoid fried foods, spicey foods, fizzy drinks, citrus fruits, smoking if you smoke and alcohol. As mentioned by other reply eat yogurts containing good bacteria also take probiotic tabs for good gut flora. So its a bland diet really, chicken, fish, lamb, beef you can grill bacon lean, veggie sausage.....veggies, wholemeal rice and pasta and noodles, eggs poached or scrambled and salads no tomatoes as you know and go gluten free bread. A friend of mine took mastic gum tabs and swore by them..u can get them online from well known source.....bon appetite.....best wishes...

• Posted

Also go caffeine free coffee and tea.....
  • Posted

Hello.

I suffered from gastritis for some time and found that diet is key to healing. Medication like ppi do help recovery but diet is the key element and you won't heal if you neglect your diet.

I was on ppi for 5 months before my symptoms went away enough for me to come off them. And you have to ween off them slowly as acid flows back in and it can put you back to square 1 if you aren't careful.

Cut out :

- tea / coffee (caffeine is a big no no) you may be ok with the odd decaf tea and coffee but you will Have to have them sparingly

- alcohol (major irritant)

- smoking

- high fat foods

- acidic foods and drinks

- fizzy drinks

- dairy (makes a lot of acid) the odd low

Fat cheese and yogurt should be ok but don't be having lots of dairy regularly

- reduce gassy vegetables and avoid eating them raw as they are hard to digest

I found high potassium foods irritated me also (bananas seriously upset me).

Keep a food diary and note what irritates you. Be warned that some healthy foods can irritate your stomach.

If you keep on the right path with diet you will pick up. But it's slow progress and will take a few months. I'd advise ppi from your doc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.