Trying to get sober, has anybody has success with tapering

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been drinking a fifth of vodka a day 6-7 days out of the week for the last 3 years or so. I already am diagnosed with severe panic and anxiety so I was basically self medicating but I also am prescribed 4 mg a day of clonazapam for panic which I know they use those benzos for with deal symptoms. I have a friend who is a nurse and suggested a taper program she created because I just can't go cold turkey because at about 12-24 hours with out a drink I get massive panic and sweats and minor trembles and its running my life and health and I wanna kick this in the butt. But she suggested I try that before I would enter an inpatient program. Any advice or any sort of help is greatly appreciated. I'm just scared of the major side effects like DT's or hallucinations and if I'm a candidate for that.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Another vodka drinker , hi there 👍I was the same as you. I went cold turkey with some Librium. Lasted about 3 days. No DT's this time so I was lucky. Go for it as you described, try the taper, but it probably won't work because as soon as you are p*ssed , you'll just drink more....😜I'm 6 weeks or so clean now (again) good luck 👍👍🍻🍻
  • Posted

Hi Griffin, well done for finding this site and admitting your need, we are all here for you. If you get withdrawl symptoms the advice is not to stop drinking suddenly, but to cut down gradually and to get medical help. Good luck
    • Posted

thanks so much for the reply and they know from talking with lots of other friends that have gone through it that some of them did it cold turkey thing and said it was horrible and they wish they would have tapered ma also didn't find out how dangerous it was and some of them were WAY worse than I am right now. But I do definitely get withdrawal symptoms but since I drink so much I only get to the point I have high anxiety and panic, sweating and maybe some trembling but I think that's more from me anxiety because a lot of the symptoms of panic attacks are almost similar to alcohol withdrawal minus the heavy stuff like seizures and DT's. and a nurse friend of mine give me a taper in schedule that seems adequate for me so I'm going to try that what if I can successfully taper on my own I'm going to go and seek actual medical help at a detox clinic. So I can be monitored properly. I'm also having therapy sessions for my panic anxiety and has finally admitted to her that I drink heavily so she will be helping me with that I'm just worried my other doctor that prescribes me the Klonopin when I finally tell him about my abuse and self medicating with alcohol that he might take away my klonopin which I very badly need for my panic and unfortunately I have a feeling he will think I'm just trying to use bad drug recreationally which I promise you are not. I would much rather not have panic and not have to put these chemicals in my body for right now it's just so bad I have to to get any kind of relief or function in any way and the alcohol abuse only exaggerated all of my panic and anxiety
    • Posted

Sorry for all the typos. I voice txt and it clearly got lot wrong. But what I didn't want my doctor to think is that I'm using the klonopin recreationally. which I promise you I am NOT.
  • Posted

Hi Griffin,

I'm by no means a medical expert so I just want to say welcome to this forum, and there is alot of great support here.  Good luck with what I hope is a successful journey for you   

• Posted

Well, alcohol won't work to treat anxiety in the long-term because it actually CAUSES anxiety. You may get relief in the short-term but will be making the issue worse.

You really need a proper detox. I doubt if the doctor who prescribed the Clonazepam would be happy with you taking above the dose that was prescribed and, to be effective against alcohol withdrawal symptoms, the necessary dose is likely to be a lot higher than that given for anxiety.

I would suggest talking to your doctor and asking about that before just doing it. If you are taking the doses necessary for alcohol withdrawal you need to be monitored closely (not driving, going to work and living a normal life). You should also not be left alone. Alcohol detox is very safe, but should be done under supervision in case of complications.

There are home detoxes available and it shouldn't be necessary for you to go into hospital for alcohol detox unless you have a complicated medical profile.

• Posted

Just because the term DTs appears to have been mentioned a few times, I should explain that DTs (Delirium Tremens) is a serious illness which causes hallucinations and can lead to seizures and even death. A lot of people use the term to mean 'shakiness.'  (I am not suggesting that the people on this thread are using it inappropriately but the term does get bandied around a lot on this site) Almost all people who are addicted to alcohol get shakiness when they try to withdraw but only a very tiny fraction get DTs
  • Posted

HI Griffin. Well done for being totally honest which is great. I stopped cold turkey without any DT or trembling or panic attack and also drank Vodka like you. HOwever, this may not be for you and seeking medical advice is good. Do ask questions here and we will help the best we can!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.