Trying to help my alcoholic friend but not getting anywhere

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im not a drinker but I have a very close friend who has finally decided they want help to give up on drinking. But the big problem is that he refuses to go into Rehab. My friend use to drink 9 litres of cider a day and he did give up on that and went on to larger cans of skol which are very weak. My friend weaned himself of them and didnt have a drink for some time. Lately though his drinking has crept back up and id say he is on 16 possibly more cans then that a day by topping up and its not good. I am the only friend he has and no one else will suport him as his ex friends are alcoholics too and he doesnt speak to them anymore. He saw his GP today and his GP has told him there has been cut backs with the NHS and he cant give him any medication to give up drinking, he advised him to wean of the drink again. But i dont think that will work to be honest since he ended up back on the drink. I believe my friend should go into Rehab but i cant make him since he refuses. I think he has a big fear about Rehab underneath as he can be very self distructive and negative once the drink has touched him but at the same time I know he wants to give up but doesnt know where else to turn. He has been to an AA group before but he said that did nothing for him. What other help is there out there for people who want to give up drinking? Thanks

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

We're in the same boat. i came here to look some advice about my girlfriens who is suffering from her addiction. the problems is, she is denial. she will never admit to herself that alcohol is gradually changing her, to the point almost everyday she's drinking a 4 or b bottles of beer. I love her and i want her to be sober.
    • Posted

I feel for you on that one. With my alcoholic friend. I would say we are more closer then friends really but I refuse to have a relationship with him because of his addiction as I know the relationship would not work out due to his drinking if that ever happened. Many people keep telling me to leave him and let him deal with his addiction on his own even though they probably think we are together. But if he doesnt deal with his addiction proper. Then thats exactly what I may have to do because its not really helping me at all. I have tried and tried and can only do so much. If i do stop our friendship then that may be the only way what may make him sort himself out as he has no one else in his life. His uncle tells me I am wasting my time being around him as he is useing me which i know is not true. But there is jelousy around his uncle too as he can see how much I am helping his newphew and even he has an alcoholic addiction. But at the same time if i leave our friendship and walk away. It might make him drink even more. So im stuck at the moment even though he is trying to come of the drink. But if his drinking starts again in the future. Then thats when I have to walk away for my own good 
    • Posted

This is a disease the power this drug has to control the brain. PLZ seek out medical attention , counceling and a support program designed to keep him sober.

HOPE4CUREconfused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.