Trying to improve knee bend.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am eight months post TKR and I am still trying to bend my knee past 90 degrees. 

It was very swollen for about five months and it is only since the swelling went down that I can work on the bend.

I have started going to the gym every day for around thirty minutes.Should I push the knee to bend further even though it feels as though it is fixed at 90.It obviously hurts quite a bit when I force it but otherwise it will stay as it is.

Please could anyone just advise me if this is all right to do. I would love for it to bend as much as my other one.

Thank you.

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 8 months out and the exact same thing. It just wont bend past 85. Hurts so bad to go any further yet xrays all say normal??? I had zero mobililty before the surgery but thought I would have more than this. Not thrilled at all.

• Posted

Hi Saralice. The one excercise my PT gave me was to sit high enough on something ( I use the iron patio table) sit with most of your thights on the table and dangle your legs, move the operated leg from the knee to and fro increasing the backward movement a far as you can and then push it further.  She actually takes hold of my leg and pushes it back until I tell her it hurts. You also need to ensure your bottom is on the table when your leg is pushed back. This excercise uses gravity so you are not pushing against anything. I find it helps the knee to feel stretched. Give it a go as I think this has helped my bend. I am 12 1/2 week post TKR and was at 105 myself, the PT then pushed it to just below 110. Hope this helps. Take care.
    • Posted

I'd really like to understand more so please forgive me for asking - but where does it hurt when you can't get the bend?  When I've been doing my bend 'thing' on the recliner I'm just sitting right into the corner as far back as I can on the recliner, bending the knee as much as I can and holding it there with the other foot and then sliding forward on the chair, a tad at a time, so increasing the bend.  But it doesn't hurt - it's just a case of how much I can increase it physically.  Yesterday it was 133.  BUT I do think this is different for me because of more stretchy ligaments etc.  Milla asked the other day if the knee got stiff and generally not, but I did find after doing the balance exercises that made calves ache there was a bit more stiffness but still not as much as the arthritic knee.  Enough to make the scar feel as though it was stretching a little when I first woke up and bent knees though.  Is this where people feel pain - is it the scar where it was cut?

• Posted

When I try to bend my knee it hurts across the joint line. It's really painful. My pt is now thinking I may have pulled a ligament. I see my surgeon made Monday and will be curious what he says.

I am at 8 weeks and still can't get past 90. Ouch and getting really tired of it.

• Posted

So it's not where the wound is sewn up Duckfan?  That sounds nasty if you've pulled a ligament (I've done that TOO many times and can absolutely sympathise with that pain!).  The only thing I found that helped me when I did it (before the knee replacement) was one of those neoprene knee supports that have the hole for the kneecap, and that helped support it while it recovered.  It must be frustrating trying to get that bend more!  I do feel for you!!!!  But if you've pulled a ligament then won't that need to heal before trying for that bend more?  I'm lost but I think you do need advice from your surgeon and glad you're going on Monday.  Let us know how you get on, will you?

• Posted

No the incision looks great.  It's the joint itself or that's what it seems to be.  My PT doesn't seem to know what to do next and he's anxious to hear from my doctor too.  This all started when I tried to push the bend one day.  It's never felt the same since.  I keep,thinking that I'm being a baby but that's never been my personality.  I'm pretty tough or used to be before I was sawed in half.  I've read chicos post over and over on what's normal and can console myself sometimes, then I think, I'm 8 weeks in I should b further along.  

How are you getting along?  Yes, I'll post what the surgeon says.  

• Posted

Oh - I'd be concerned that I'd done something too!  I wonder if they can x-ray your knee to see what's happening?  But whatever they do, I hope they can find out what's wrong and put it right easily. 

I'm brilliant thanks Duckfan.  Six and a half weeks and bend of 133.  Still not walking as naturally as I'd like but I think I've got to wait for the other knee to be done for that.  Not that I'm limping or anything, but just slow because I can't trust the other knee!  I'm hoping to get signed off on Tuesday and then can get signed on for the other one:-)

• Posted

Went to my last PT appointment today.  Medicare has a dollar amount on how much you can spend. He wants me to have some $$ left in case I need manipulation and more PT after that. Anyway he did a re-eval and was going to check my rom. I just knew he would fin my bend down from 90 because I was so stiff and swollen today. My rom was 98. He was shocked, I was shocked. He looked twice. I just can't figure out this recovery. It's so weird. I'm pleased though and want to keep working on the bend. I'm 9 weeks out. 

• Posted

That is excellent that you've seen progress Duckfan.  Just keep at it at home (have you got a goniometer?  They're cheap from amazon) and you WILL get there:-)))))  9 weeks are still early and as swelling goes down too you'll find it easier, but just make 'the bend' the focus of your life and you will do it:-))))))  So pleased for you:-)))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.