Trying to keep GB, lipase and ox bile, losing hope

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I had a hida scan back in September 2016 that showed it was only functioning at 19%. I had just had major abdominal surgery (Autotransplant of left kidney) in July 2016. both surgeons that I consulted with were of the mind that I need time to heal from the surgery before they would electively go in an take GB. Which I was fine with as more surgery was not and is still not high on my wish list.

My symptoms have always been complete and awful nausea eating fats, even trace amounts I cannot tolerate. I have been living on the same 6 foods since august. I also have intense burning reflux that intensifies with fats. I have a constant "noogie" feeling under right rib that turns to slight pain when I eat fats.

I have tried everything in the meantime to keep it, seeing a natural path dr. I have noticed when I take a lipase or ox bile to aid in the digestion of even trace fats the reflux burn gets worse. Has anyone had this reaction to digestive enzymes and had the gallbladder out? If so did surgery help or make you worse?

Thanks for reading!!!!!

Heather

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heather,

So sorry that you're going through this!  Your gallbladder is diseased, and keeping it will only stress your entire body, including your liver.

Though it's possible that ox bile and lipase could help some people, they really don't treat what's going on. And, if your gallbladder is already releasing enough bile to help in digestion and you have sufficient digestive enzymes, adding more of them isn't the answer.

In the meantime, while you're trying to save it, your gallbladder disease gets worse.

I can understand why you don't want to have surgery again, but keeping a diseased organ in your body isn't the answer! 

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how you do! xx

• Posted

Hi Heather, I think we've spoken before, I've got to have my gallbladder out in March as my HIDA scan was 14%. I can understand that you want to try natural remedies because of your previous medical history but unlike other organs in the body the gallbladder can't repair itself and it may get worse, which is what I'm worried about. I'm in fairly constant pain as it is and it gets worse as soon as I eat which increases if I eat fatty, spicy or rich foods. I don't have the reflux problem you have so I can't help on that issue. my gallbladder has gradually got worse over the last 8 months so that I'm ready to have it taken out in the hope that I can get back to normal and be the active person I use to be.

I can understand its not an easy situation for you and only you can decide what to do but what ever you decide keep us informed and good luck.

• Posted

Katherine and Lynda- thank you for your replies!! I have decided I will have it out. I made the call to schedule but the nurse was not in. At my appt on Monday they talked about early feb. we will see what they offer next week. Ugghhh I DO NOT WANT MORE surgery but I know it needs to come out. I have done my job in postponing until it is safer to do, just wish I could blink and it be over!!
    • Posted

Hi Heather, I know the feeling of wanting it to be over and I haven't been through what you have so keep us upto date with everything that's going on and we'll be here to listen. Take care and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Heather!

As you said, you've done your best to avoid surgery, which is certainly understandable, given your circumstances!  xx

As Katherine said, please keep us posted on how you get on!  We'll be here to support you!

(((BIG HUG)))

• Posted

My HIDA was 21% and I had the same symptoms. I had mine out in September. Before my surgery I was basically on a coffee and broth diet I couldn't eat, probably from fear. The coffee though was the only thing that seemed to take the pain away. Black coffee, no cream or sugar. Something about coffee helps flush the bile when your gallbladder is contracting low, or only 19% of its size in your case. Unfortunately your gallbladder is diseased. It will not heal. I was eating normal food about 4 days after my surgery and felt so much better! Some things I had to restrict like spicy or super fatty like bacon. I had been vomiting for over a year and now I feel amazing.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I'm due to have my gallbladder out on 1st March as my HIDA scan is 14% but my question is were you in pain all the time with it increasing as you eat? I've woken up the last few mornings in a hot sweat but feeling really cold and I don't know if this is all part of it. What were you like?

Also thanks for letting us know that you feel good after your operation.

• Posted

I was nauseous and vomiting all the time to start off. I then started feeling like I had a baseball tucked under my rib and it was constant. When I ate it got a little painful and made me really sick. I was also having migraines and right shoulder pain. But I had a constant feeling under my rib and so bad after eating I basically only ate broth and drank black coffee and water.
    • Posted

yes, I was sick alot in the beginning but as I've altered my diet I only feel sick if I've eaten too much or gone out for a meal. My pain goes into my shoulder too, I'm really fed up with it now. The doctors aren't sure if I have sphinctor of oddi dysfunction as well because of the constant pain but as you've had it too and not now since you've had the gallbladder removed, I'm hoping I don't have this dysfunction. Thanks for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.