Trying to make sense of the nhs website

Posted , 4 users are following.

There's this thing called "self-referral, they ask for details, I typed in the name of my doctor's surgery then backed out. Everything seems so official, so....... matter of fact. Therapy , getting help, as in changing my mindset somehow, I don't know if I can do that. Don't if I WANT to ... do that. Right now I'd like an assessment, an understanding of precisely want my problems are. The only way forward for me, as I see it, I wish I could just walk out of my home, out of my street, out of my town, out of my life basically, and never look back. Hide myself away somewhere, quietly see out my remaining years,start afresh, some place else, but I can't do it alone. I don't know if that sort of help is available even, and with this covid situation going on....

I'm not sure that there is anything anyone can say to this. Maybe I just needed to say it. I need out. No I'm not suicidal, to say that I am would be wishful-thinking, I'm too much of a wimp for that. If only there was someone, a professional, that I could talk to.

I'm sorry.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

You dont have to be sorry. You can self refer to healthy minds for telephone counselling. Can you talk to a friend or family?

• Posted

Are you just done with being anxious and depressed??

• Posted

Are you just done with being anxious and depressed??

• Posted

jane,

I have no friends, I've lived in my street for over thirty years and I don't know anyone. " socially inept " doesn't come close. Which makes me wonder if it's a personality thing, Asperger's perhaps. Not looking for labels or excuses here. There are a few people with whom I might exchange a friendly nod occasionally but that's it. Family are a big part of my problem. I am the eldest of five, being the family elder can be absolute hell. People seem to presume, expect, so much.

megan,

You may be right. I can't remember a time when I didn't feel how I'm feeling now and I'm sick of it. I just want out.

If I could move away, far enough away to be a total stranger and out of reach of anyone who might want to find me, well, then, with help, I might be willing to work on my mind but I can't do it here. Somewhere safe, with a bed and something to cook on, I think I could quietly see out the remaining years. I'm in my sixties now. I need to get away. I shall look into the nhs website later and try to find a name and address, write a letter maybe, see if someone can advise on who to contact but again, with this covid business going on, makes me feel more than a little insignificant.

Thanks for the posts jane and megan. Shall post any progress that I make. Might be of interest to somebody.

Regards, doubting.

• Edited

Hi Doubting, Never apologize for your feelings, and the fact you are NOT suicidal is NOT being wimpy, it means you WANT to live, you just need HELP, because you're done living THIS WAY....I am so sorry you are feeling this way...it sounds like frustration, I understand, feeling so sick & tired of BEING sick & tired, we think if we could start over it would be better but, we bring ourselves along & if we are struggling here, we are likely to feel better at first, while everything is NEW but, then things end up the same, my family members have tried this many times, it just didn't work but, maybe you need a BREAK, something fun, temporary, doesn't have to expensive...camping, beach, mountains, short local trip!! you don't say how old your siblings are but, assuming they are all adults, they should be in charge of their own lives & just expect you to visit, have family gatherings, its a 2way relationship...do things for each other & you can say NO, being oldest, sometimes we put more pressure on OURSELVES to manage everybody, as adults you should be equals and work as a family unit, they are responsible for themselves...Having someone to talk to is important, a counsellor, family, friends(sometimes at least having friends online is better than no friends at all) the problem with starting over, is it just creates different problems(it doesn't fix your underlying reasons for your depression) relocating may work for some people, for others, they REALLY just want to feel better and moving is not the solution....there are a lot of sites where you can talk to a DR online, during COVID, some are covered by your HC provider, some aren't but, $50 a visit would get you a visual appt. & maybe some answers or solutions?! Maybe a support group on FB, or people HERE, lots of groups that would give you someone to relate to...Depending where you live, look online to see what is available...I would try ANY means to get to see a counsellor(you are never too old for CBT, it might not fix everything but, it can make a difference) try a NP, DR, online, phone, in person, ANY WAY...you can start over where you are, make changes in your life, I am helping a few on here right now, also accepting friends...I have been having trouble logging in on here, so if you ever want to chat ANYTIME, if you want to know about me, read my profile...Good Luck, things can get better, BEST WISHES💒🎶🌈♾🐾🍀☮

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Edited

Sgt. lindalee,

I get the impression that a lot of you guys are not in GB, I see much use of the $ sign here, not a problem, but I do believe that we have a different care situation going on here. Anyway, I would like to try and explain my feelings, don't know if it'll make much sense but here goes:

How far away from "not wanting live" is "suicidal"? It's not that I don't want to die. I don't want to die badly. When you're young and healthy you can choose. I'm not sure that I "WANT" help with my mental health. It is what it is, I'm an old man now, I'm quite harmless. I can't believe that I'm not too many years south of seventy but there it is. Guys, making it, working things out, with people, this life, MY SELF even, might do more harm than good. And I don't want to think about collateral damage, there would be a lot of "knock-ons" attached to this, I'm thinking of the few people who know me and family of course. Best I just sneak off somewhere and live out my remaining years as quietly as is possible. Also, new might not last for ever when you're young, at my age it might just.

There is a hospital about ten miles away from my home that deals with mental health issues, I've written to them explaining how I feel and how I would like to see out my life. I would like to , just once, sit down and have a face to face with someone, counselling is only going cause confusion I think. I've pleaded with them not to send me a help-line phone-number, I'm not expecting to get a reply, but we shall see. It's taken me a lot of years to write that letter, it amazes and scares me that I actually POSTED it, my age I think, and yes, I've had enough.

Okay, my wanting to moving away, they can't help me with but: Maybe they can tell me of someone who I might seek that sort of help from. Also, I would like such a meeting to be put on my medical records that I had at least acknowledged that I'd got problems and that I had tried to do something about it.

If, at some point in the future, I end up doing something that might raise eyebrows, well, maybe someone somewhere will be willing and able to testify as to my having been whatever they might choose to label me with.

Oh dear, it's long one, sorry.

I almost forgot to thank you for your reply, how awful, your response was and is very much appreciated. Thanks Sgt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.