Trying to quit Tramadol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Tramadol for over 10 years now and want to quit badly. I only take one 50 mg at lunch but take four 50 mg tablets every night. Can't figure out why one is ok during the day but can't function right without 4 in the evenings. I can get by sometimes with 3 at night if I go to bed early but I find myself very irritable and on edge. Any suggestions on how to quit or why I need more at night would be helpful. I feel that if I could even get back to 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner, it would be a huge accomplishment.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yeah. You've trained your brain. Sounds crazy, but true. I was on it over 15 years. Just made the decision. I started cutting back real slow. 1/2 a tab.for a month. Then another half. You may feel like s**t. Insomnia, etc. but you can do it. If your not sure, go to a rehab facility and they will help you get off it slowly. The sooner, the better. Give yourself a chance to experience life. Once your brain is rewired, you'll be a different person, and so happy. You can do it.

• Posted

SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!!! Your body is used to what you’ve been taking & you have to retrain it by doing an extremely slow taper. Start off by tapering only 1/2 tablet (25mg) at a time. Obviously, start with your evening dosage. It won’t be as much of a shock to your system then. Stay at each taper for at least 2-3 weeks so your body has plenty of time to adjust. It won’t seem as impossible then. But you’ll find that once you get down to less in the evenings you might take a little longer to adjust. Don’t rush it because. The slower you taper, the more successful you will be getting F off. I actually quit almost cold turkey last summer & that was the most miserable experience I ever went thru in my life. I was taking anywhere from 300-600mg in a day. I’ve been Tramadol-free now since last August. The residual withdrawal symptoms finally just abated on its own. Good luck. Keep coming back to this forum & read.

• Posted

Hi

Coming off tramadol is really hard perhaps you should try cutting the night time ones down really slowly 

I have been off tramadol now for. 18 days it is great 

I hope you can you can come off those pills eventually 

Because the feeling is amazing 

It has taken me 9 months to do it

But believe me it is worth it 

• Posted

Hi very interest what I hear from everybody about tramadol to stop taking tramadol why people taking tramadol in the first place I been taking tramadol for long time to for Pain on my neck and back and is the only pain killer that relief may pain I only take 2 a day so if I stop to take them what about my pain so the point I am make is if I try to stop taking tramadol how can I relief my pain the doctor do not recommend me another pain killer to reply it so we're are we going from hear .See this people that they stop taking them say they never fild so good what about the problem they have went they was taking the tramadol

• Posted

Hi

The reason I was taking tramadol 

I had a fall and smashed my elbow to bits and had a major operation 

I have been in pain ever since

And tramadol was the only pain killer that eased the pain

But they made me ill if I didn't take them

I tried to come off them quite a few times

But had such bad withdrawals 

I lost my job

I am really depressed and forgetful the withdrawals are unbelievable I am still experiencing withdrawals 

But hopefully they will gradually disappear 

But I have tapered myself off them

And I am still taking pain killers when needed 

I feel like I am getting my life back on track and I feel that I have achieved my goal to be tramadol free

When you are in excurating pain

And the hospital give you them

There is no warning what's going to happen I was glad to have the pain eased

4 years of my life I have been on these tablets really it's like living another life

A life of a drug addict because that's what I was

But not anymore 

• Posted

Hi thank for reply to my masegge but if you was taking tramadol because chronic pain and they relive you pain why tit you want stop you are say about adictet pain kilar but mos of the pain killer we are taking today are adictet tablet the point I making if I found a pain killer that relief my pain I will keep take it is lake I am taking tablet for my cholesterol for a long time and I have to take them for the rest of my life so goin back to tramadol the resond that i have to take tramadol is because is the only pain killer that relief may pain any athear tablet don't work and not only relief the pain it make me more active to so uslong i fild ok why stop taking them let me kow you opinion regards luis brito

• Posted

Thanks for all of the responses. I will definitely start cutting back on the evening doses. I started taking these 10 years ago for back pain but kept taking them because I noticed my migraines virtually disappeared while on them. The doctor was trying to put me on an anti seizure medication to prevent migraines at the time and we decided if the tramadol was working to just stay on that instead. Now I just take them for the energy boost they give me during the day and at night to help me relax after a long work day. I don't feel they are ruining my life but I would like to get back to going out for a few drinks here and there and being more social again. I'm told that I can't drink while on the tramadol so I typically just try to avoid those situations.

• Posted

I will tell you that it’s not an easy process at all but weaning slowly definitely makes in much more bearable. I started taking it about 3 yrs ago after having a botched knee surgery followed by several other knee surgeries then having a total knee replacement at the age of 42. I work in a high demanding job with long hours & always on my feet. I will be honest & say that the pain is still there; but then there are days when I feel good. My doc does have me on Lyrica & it helps to a point. I just take a lot of ibuprofen... I mean A LOT! There’s just no beating this but I’m finally free from the daily doses of Tramadol. Sorry for the pain you have to endure. Keeping a positive attitude & exercise is key, as well as drinking lots of water. You can do this. You have lots of support here.

• Posted

Do you know that if you stop taking tramadol but taking ibuprofen you taking more risk of stomach problem because they are very bad for you stomach
  • Posted

Actually, I know the risks very well. I’m a nurse & I have my blood work checked twice a year. So far, so good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.