Trying to stay intact!

Posted , 11 users are following.

My TKR is 12 days away now and I was told I that if there was a single break in the skin on that leg the op would be cancelled because of the infection risk. Even an insect bite would be a problem...

I have to say I never realised how often my legs had minor wounds... I'm generally quite outdoorsy and I'm permanently covered in bites, bramble scratches, nettle rash (which I always manage to scratch open) etc, or accidental scratches from playing with dogs and cats, or catching my leg on a fence whilst struggling to get my dodgy legs over a style...

i never even think about it, but now I feel like I have to wrap the leg in cotton wool to protect it these last few days... Just got me wondering... What aspect of your surgeries took you totally by surprise? What did you have have to think/worry about that you never even thought about before?

2 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was surprised to hear about scratches etc as I had intended to shave my legs day before op! I used an epilator several days before op....och! I was also questioned about dressing on my toe put there to protect my big toe by chiropodist previous weekend & nothing serious,  wsa told that patients were advised not to visit chiropodist weekend before op to avoid any cuts etc to feet! I was surprised I was having a spinal anaestetic & nervous but a lovely member of the hospital staff stayed with me just before my spinal & as we both had Maltese parents she chatted about Malta & eased my nerves, bless her.She was also there when I woke up. I was shocked how much my knee bled, twice needing more bandages & a day or so later needed blood transfusion, I had not been given any info about transfusions but one of the nurses caring for me said that in future that information would be given at pre op. I was not prepared for the bruising, total shock when I saw my leg loooking black that startled me! I also think the recovery time is a shock to may people, 4 months down the line not driving & using one crutch still but it all take stime & we are all different. It has been worth it because pain now is nothing like the terrible pain I had before & TKR by surgeon I trust will make my life so much better in the future.
    • Posted

Hi Marie

Yes it will be worth it. Just to get pain relief is a big plus.

Jean

• Posted

My surgeon advised me to avoid chiropodists for ever!  Not that I ever go actually . . . but he said it was a bigger cause of infection than urinary tract infections.  , or dental work. . . .which i start next week (one implant, and a bridge YUK
    • Posted

Oh dear, I go to the chiropodist on a regular basis ha ha I am also having some private dental work done & have been wearing upper & lower braces since last year!!!!!! Good luck with the implant & bridge, I think my dentist has similar work scheduled on my dental plan! I just want to keep my teeth for as long as I can cheesygrin take care
    • Posted

I think you have to experience the pain to understand it & we know what hell it has been, don't we? I am trying to stay super positive.......but sometimes it is difficult! Very best wishes & take care .
    • Posted

I've put the dental work off for a week . . got bronchitis and coughing all the time. .don't think I could keep my mouth open long enough to drill a hole in my gum!
    • Posted

marie

I have had and continue to have more than my fair share of pain so I do empathise with you.

Kind regards

Jean 

• Posted

This has been a wonderful discussion thread and I both learned from and enjoyed everyone's thoughts on it.  Your words of concern, excitement and hope all make this journey so much easier for me because I know you're on it with me. Thank you for that.
  • Posted

I would say that there were 2 things that took me by surprise

- I had done stacks of research and knew pretty well what took expect. Firstly, I was desperately thirsty and had a horrendous dry mouth for the first few days - jug after jug of water in the Hospital, so much so that the senior nurse told me I had to start putting juice in it, as so much plain water was going to mess with my electrolytes! Thank goodness for the catheter in the early days! Secondly I was VERY surprised to spend the first 5 days bedbound, as my nerves had been damaged (temporarily, thank goodness!) and I couldn't feel the bottom half of my leg! Quite literally couldn't put a foot to the floor.

TKR #2 for me in less than 6 weeks, let's see what happens this time. Good luck to you for your op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.