Trying to stop cocodamol for the first time...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone, I can't tell you how relieved I am to find this group. I've been reading all your posts and replies and I'm horrified at what I've been taking and so pleased to be here. I was prescribed 30/500s for a slipped disc along with diazepam, then they stopped the diazepam and gave me methacarbamol instead. My back is now better but I cannot get off the cocodamol. I was on 8 a day, managed to get it as low as 1 and a half a day but just feel so dreadful.... So i bought some 8/500s and I'm on 4 or five a day, basically I get to 4 or 5 hours and I'm jittery, I feel like I've got flu, my head feels like it's full of water with a constant headache and the nausea is unreal. I want to try tapering it right off because I'm not brave enough to just stop. I work and I've just had 5 weeks off with my back, I can't go sick with withdrawal. So I just wanted to say hello, I can't believe how awful this drug is. I'm a 50 year old ordinary woman and I've never been addicted to anything. My poor fiance and kids must be so sick of hearing me say how ill I feel. Great for the diet though, for the first time in my life I have no appetite...

Did anyone else taper off and how low a dose did you get to before you finally stopped?

Thanks x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I know how u feel and ur not alone, I have tried so many times to taper off but as soon as I felt the withdrawal I took a tablet. After a really bad tummy bug where by I couldn’t even keep water down and hadnt taken any codeine I decided to stop cold turkey. I’m the type of person who is all or nothing. TBH the first 3 days where horrible (I’m not going to lie) but my gp gave me diazepam (6 a day) for the 1st week, then down to 4 and reducing each week. At first I was so scared as I didn’t know how it would affect me, but the good news is after 2-3 weeks the withdrawal was manageable. The worst part for me was restless legs at night but this to passed after 2 week. Before I stopped  cold turkey I was taking 20 tablets a day, and as u r on a smaller amount  than me u may not get as bad withdrawals. Good luck and remember your not alone x
    • Posted

Thanks Louise, I spoke to the gp nurse today and she's actually made me an appointment to see the Dr so hopefully he might have something to help, at least diazepam isn't addictive!! Well done you on going cold turkey even though you didn't have a choice, at least it was over and done with. Being menopausal isn't helping much either, no one told me be a grown up girl would be this complicated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.