Trying to stop Nexium

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been on Nexium for about 10 years for GERD and have been advised to stop taking it.I started" stopping" by taking one Nexium  in the morning and one Ranitidine in the evening for a month then every other day I'd take two Ranitidine instead of one of each..after two weeks I was getting very bad acid in my tummy and throat which was really burning me.Then I was getting feeling of my heart racing with dizzy spells.I tried for another two weeks of two Ranitidine one day then one of each next day but was feeling really ill also lost half a stone as couldn't eat much.I'm now back on one Nexium morning and one Ranitidine evening. My Dr isn't much help as he hasn't really had this problem before.Is there anyone else who is reading this who has had these symptoms please.?Is there anyone who can give me advice of how to stop Nexium or is it OK to be taking one of each every day?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Why were you advised to stop taking it?
    • Posted

Because of the increase of the risk of dementia due to my age and family history.Also I have been getting unexplained joint pains
    • Posted

What is the risk of getting dementia? I have been taking similar indigestion tablets for about 15 years. 
    • Posted

The risk of getting dementia is greater in older persons taking Nexium rather than an older person not taking it
    • Posted

Could it cause early dementia? How big is the risk?
    • Posted

I'm sorry I'm not a doctor so only get my information from reading about it.My Doctor said it to me but he didn't seem to know much about it either.I guess this is all new..

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

I hope your doing great. First my advice is to see a gastroenterologist and tell your concerns to the right doctor. Have you go for a procedure called ogd or egd? If not you should go so that they will know the severity of your problem. Nexium is not advisable if your taking it for long time. Your tummy will become vulnerable to bacteria and vitamins deficiency. Me im trying to stop my pariet and shift to gaviscon.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice but I'd be very careful if you are taking gaviscon.Gaviscon can deplete the phosphates in your body a cause hypophosphatemia..

• Posted

I’ve been taking Nexium or Lansaprazole for over 10 years, plus in past year 2 Ranitidine a day.  I stopped for 2 weeks prior to gastroscopy which revealed ulcer and some erosions. Told by GI to go back on both straight away. So for you, depends why you have been told to stop. You may need to go back to GP and explain what is happening as you are trying to come off them. Some GPS have suggested to me in the past reducing and coming off PPI but the return of symptoms has always meant they restart them. Have you been tested for h pylori?
    • Posted

thanks for your reply.I have been tested for h pylori and neg. I was told to stop because of the increase risk of dementia due to my age and family history also unexplained joint pains. I'm now on 20 mg a day Nexium plus  150mg ranitidine and can live with that as have also cut out most acidic foods/drinks. My Dr doesnt seem to know much about coming off Nexium.I have talked with other people and so far have not actually found any long term person who has managed to come off Nexium

• Posted

Hi Maureen.  Have you tried tapering off even slower?  For example, if you take one Nexium every morning (Once every 24 hours), try spacing them out to 1 Nexium every 36 hours (as opposed to skipping an entire day), using Ranitidine as needed.  Once you’ve done that for a couple weeks, space the Nexium out by just a little bit more.  Like you, I’ve been on a PPI (Prilosec) for 10+ years.  I did slowly taper off Prilosec once before, but I was miserable, so went back on it again.  I’m in the process of getting tested for food allergies to see what my triggers are, then I plan to cut out my triggers and try to taper off again.  Best of luck.  
    • Posted

thanks for that information.I have tried something like that and had to give up as was feeling so ill.I'm reading all this advice from people so realise that I'm not alone and now will try again at stopping Nexium.Thank you again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.