Trying to survive these withdrawals

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have no one in my life to talk to about this. It's been over 3 years that I been taking tramadol after 3 knee surgeries and it's ruining my life and don't know what else to do. Can't deal with this pain anymore. Anyone know anything that helps with withdrawals to be able to get outta bed and go to work?

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You could try chamomille tea

5htp

Try to taper off the Tram real gradually

Hot showers

Talk to doc. If youre in pain , maybe something else can help

Just takes time ..what dose were you up to?

Dont worry youll do ok

• Posted

Thanks for replying I haven't talked to anyone about my problem. I don't think I could even go to my family doctor and tell her this. I think my doctor and the office there will just see me as a drug addicted.

And as of now I been going back and forth from 10-8 pills to when I'm low 5 pills a day. I don't know how to do this anymore I feel so depressed 

• Posted

Hi there! I just finished going through what you're going through, also due to many knee surgeries. I'm now down to 1/2 pill (25mg) a day. I promise it gets easier. When I was going through the worse of w/d's, I never thought there would be an end in sight.  Please elaborate how much Tramadol you've been taking. 

• Posted

I've never reached out to anyone to talk to so this is really weird to even talk about this with someone so thanks for all replying back. But I was taking almost or just about 13-15 50mg a day but just recently before I ran out the past few months been around 9-10 a day and I completely ran out last week and can't even think straight. I feel like I'm losing my mind 

• Posted

"Tramadol" here in Thailand called "Paindol"  My case. Operation in Sweden which turned into a chronic post operative TKR infection  three years ago. Lots of pain daily. Especially upon getting out of bed.  With Tramadol I can work, write and travel. I am 67 and still work as a feature editor for Pattaya Today newspaper. I enjoy my work tremendously. I DON'T WANT TO RETIRE!  I know Tramadol is BAD . But in my case it works. However, unless a lot of standing, walking is required I only take half a capsule 0.25 mg combined with one 500 mg paracetamol tablet with strong coffee - NO SUGAR! My recommendation: Lower you dose 50 %  plus  paracetamol.  BTW in Sweden they prescribe Oxycodone "Hillbilly Heroin" Here in Thailand not allowed by Thai FDA! 

• Posted

Sorry to hear about you not been able to have any support .I used to take nine 50 mg a day I have slowly tapered myself down and am just on the one 50 mg .. taking good vitamins will help ..i have been going work myself and had to drag myself out of bed . .you have to be as strong as you can ..it will get better it's all part of withdrawal but you can do it ... how many you on? You will feel drained for about 4 days when you cut down but got to think to yourself it will get better ..be strong

• Posted

"Nine 50 mg per day"... I am amazed when I see these high Tramadol dosages people take every day.  No wonder there will be problems getting off Tramadol. BTW My friend from Helsinki (HEL) says Finnish Sauna and swimming can help. "Bangkok-Johnny" 

• Posted

Yes that's what I was on ..but now just down to just the one 50 mg a day and I take that at night ..just need to get off this last one now and then am free of the horrible drug been on them for over 9 years .. was thinking of taking half the capsule but think it will just prolong the withdrawals just have to think positive and just stop that one tablet and don't be soft and struggle for a few days ..yes doctors give them out like toffee ..thry should come with a big warning

• Posted

How did you do it? Like get up out of bed and leave ur house to go to work? I can't even think happy at all. I don't know what to do right now. I feel really alone and depressed

• Posted

I found out what vitamins to take but you have come off a lot and your body will be going crazy for the tramadol.. I know you feel tired all the time but you got to pull yourself through it ..my legs felt like they was dragging behind me ..but the more you are busy that's the best thing to be as staying at home your mind is always thinking about the tablet ..my mind was saying take a pill you will feel better but a big part of me stayed strong and did not take any apart from the one at night ..i know it's going to be a struggle but I got to do this ..sick of them controlling my life ..have you spoken to your doctor about it ? My doctor has given me tablets for my restless legs at night so I get some sleep ... these tablets because they have got opiates in them and a antidepressant in them they so tough because you feel like you breaking down all the time your emotions are all over the place ..you got to be strong

• Posted

I took x20 @ day (on a day on a good day)

now im down 2 about 4 a day if my scoliosis/hip arthritis/ spasms/knees / neck/ head/+++more/ all hurt REALLY BAD I MIGHT take 1-5 more. But NEVER have i gone over nor up i have worked hard going from a certain death amount doctor hopping ( Missouri is the ONLY state that does not report to the controled drug database) so i am down 2 only x1 Dr x1 Rx a month! Pretty proud of myself when my appointment rolls around & I still have pills left! But im still addicted & have a long hard road ahead. :-(

• Posted

I was on 300mg a day & I decided to go almost cold turkey & went down from 6-8 pills to 1 1/2 pills a day. That was a bit extreme, but I stuck it out. It was one of the toughest things I had ever done, mentally & physically. The 1st 3 weeks was pure hell but & that's been since early July & I'm finally feeling almost normal. I thought about just dropping that last 50mg pill all together but I decided not to. I'll stick the 1/2 pill for about another week & then that will be it. Now, the only w/d symptom I get when I wean down is some mild anxiety, but it stays with me constantly for about 3-4 days. It's tolerable most of the time. The early evening can still be a bit rough. I'll get tired & lethargic but that's also manageable. Everyday gets a bit better & I feel so much more clear-headed again. Also, I've noticed that the horrible knee pain I thought I was experiencing really isn't as bad as I thought it was being on such a high dosage of Tramadol in a day. Of course, I have good pain days & bad pain days but still not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I would highly advise, however, to go see your primary doctor & explain what you're doing & get help. You don't have to go through this alone. There are relief options out there. I did take a lot of epsom salt baths & spent quite a bit of time with a heating pad. For some reason, those were the most comforting for me. If you can, take time off of work & find something else you can do; something that you really enjoy. Laying around the house can. E harmful & depression might sit in. Stay busy & stay focused. And when it's all over & said & done, the pride you will feel for beating this "addiction" will be so worth it. I am so proud of myself for sticking this out. You will be, too! It's definitely worth getting your life back. Best of luck to anyone also going through this. I'm on the last road... finally!

• Posted

That is so great I wish I was where you are now! I couldn't imagine how hard that must of been but I'm not strong like that. I thought I was a strong person but now I don't. I just feel like some drugie that isn't going to be able to survive this 

• Posted

I felt, and still sometimes do, the same exact way. I know it's hard but I will tell you this: if you really want off of them, just don't do it. You're already cold turkey & if you stick through it, you will be recovered quickly than me. The 1st 3 weeks will be a living hell for you but it will go fast, especially since your mind will be in a complete fog. I work 10 hour shifts someday & going to work that 1st week was atrocious. Looking back on it, that week was such a blur. And believe me, I'm not the strongest person either. I've actually popped an extra Tramadol one evening last week because I was hurting.  But it was actually ok. It didn't affect my recovery from this at all. I do know that I will NEVER live my life day to day waiting to take my next dose of Tramadol. I don't ever want to feel the way I did those 1st few weeks again. I've never taken a medication in my life priori to that the way I took Tramadol. I've had several knee surgeries & was prescribed Percocet & they didn't have the same effect on me. I would just stop them when I didn't need them anymore & that was that. I don't drink alcohol. So, by the true definition of an addict, I'm really not; however, I became addicted to Tramadol. My body needed it, craved it, wanted it. If I didn't have it, I would be a nervous wreck. Now, I have an entire prescription plus another 1/2 left & I go without. Now I can take 1 if I really need it & be completely fine. Even though I still need that 1/2 pill in the morning because now that's what my system is used to. I know it feels unmanageable for you right now, and I know exactly how bad you're feeling. Been there, done that. You can be strong, you just have to really want to be. For me, it was determination to get over those w/d's. My advice for you right now is to not fight it. Let it take over right now & it will finally let you have yourself back. The more you fight it, the worse you will feel. I promise it gets better.

• Posted

Very well done, it's so tough so you must have great strength

• Posted

I am now down to the one 50mg tablet now ..am not to sure how bad the withdrawals will be ..i have come down tapered from 9 tablets a day ..but I got to get off this one ..i have got the vitamin b complex but still no energy .. I been still going to work it keeps my mind occupied but the no energy is the hardest thing . .plus anxiety too

• Posted

It's been one of the toughest things I've had to do. I'm now down to 1/2 pill (25mg) a day & next week I will drop it all together. I worry about the w/d's when I completely drop it. The worse of it is now is the anxiety. I have found that it last about 3-4 days then gets better. What I find strange is that I will feel better all of a sudden then a couple weeks later I'll experience the anxiety again. It's so aggravating. I'm just bound & determined to get off this med. I'm done with it! I'm stubborn so I can do it.

• Posted

I was thinking of breaking the capsule but think it will pre long the withdrawals .. Am going doctors next week see if they can help with this no energy and feeling lethargic too ..you will have to let me know how you get on with getting off the last of it ..well done you •
    • Posted

you're almost home free!!1 good job!!!--just stay on the 50mgs for a week or so....then  cut one in half and do that for a week---before long you'll be out from under the drugs spell   ---and never go back to it -ever  got it?

• Posted

The tramadol does not break in half it's capsules so won't be able to just take half I don't think? Might try though ..yes cannot wait until am off this horrible drug been on them for over 10 years ..just want to be off them now i took them for my shoulder these tablets should come with a red warning on them

• Posted

I've been on the 1/2 pill regimen for about 2 weeks now & I had planned on stopping it all together next week, but for some reason, the past couple days haven't been so great. I've been more lethargic than normal & the anxiety has returned. I don't understand it. It's tolerable but still a horrible feeling. I don't know what else to do except keep moving forward. This, too, shall pass.

• Posted

Hi just wanted a update are you tramadol free yet? Am on a third of a tramadol now and will be stopping in a few days
    • Posted

I am proud to say that I am Tramadol free now. It's been a couple of weeks & there's been twice early on that I have taken one, mainly because the anxiety just got to be too much. Now, it's still there but much more bearable. I still have the muscle tiredness & I much prefer that over the anxiety. My knee still hurts like hell but I'm just dealing with it in other ways, such as Tylenol arthritis. It helps a little but not enough to be pain free. I'm so happy to be free from Tramadol. It takes a long time to get through this. I started my Tramadol free journey back in July & still dealing with the slight w/d symptoms. Everyday is a new day & everyday gets better. Much luck getting off of them. Please feel free to reach out to me if you need advice, or just need to vent.

• Posted

Hi..

Kudos to you. 😊 I'm now done with Tramadol after being prescribed it for Lung Clots 5 years ago. 8 tablets a day. Until last month when I stopped because I thought I'd be stuck on this awful drug for the rest of my life . (Easy option) But it was harming my body..terrible constipation. Now withdraws. Oh my god I thought I was dying the first week. So much aching..confusion..no sleep. What helped me was clonidine for restless legs..carb snacks..warm baths..anytime day or night. And a totally clear schedule. Diary is wiped for the next 2 weeks. I know I have to keep this up..the hot sweats..cramps..at least the vomiting has stopped. Now sometimes when I rest I get that normal rest feeling..so just gotta keep going. Anxiety is bad at times but I know it's a withdrawal effect. I can't wait to be off this evil drug for good. I don't have any so alternatives to help withdrawal Is all i have Solpadol..and diazepam ..clonidine combined are the best so far. 2 weeks to go.!

• Posted

Great job! Keep going. I promise it gets better. I went through the exact same w/d's that you're experiencing now. It's about 3 weeks of hell & then you start to feel much better. The anxiety & tiredness will  linger but it is tolerable, just annoying as hell. Getting off this crappy drug is NOT easy. I remember there was a time that I would think back to when I wasn't taking this drug & wish I could go back to then. I was jealous of others not taking it. I honestly never thought I would be able to get off of it, but I did it. I'm on Lyrica & Naprosyn DS & those do help with the w/d's. I also had a cortisone shot in my back & that gave me a systemic effect & the cortisone actually helps with some of the systems. The cortisone has since worn off & I'm in pain but I seem to be managing it of, within the daily hustle & bustle of taking pain meds. Keep up the good work!

• Posted

What other medicines or vitamins should I get to do my taper and final coming off these awful tablets?
    • Posted

Hi, Sarah! Honestly, my best advice is to just let this crap pass through your system without any other supplements messing up your system. It takes time but there is an end. I think it's the best way. You have to let yourself deal with what you're feeling to move on. I am Tramadol free now & I started in July. Taper slowly!!! I was able to taper 1/2 pill at a time. I took my time with it. I would wait until I was completely comfortable with how I was feeling after tapering then taper down 1/2 pill again & repeat the process. It works so much better & the w/d's are much more tolerable that way. Anyway, that worked for me. However, I did find that caffeine made my anxiety worse so stay away from it if you can. I'm at the point where the pain is more tolerable than w/d's. Never again! Much luck to you & if you need anything, please write back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.