Trying to understand results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Hope this is the best place, I have been having routine blood tests for the last 3 years as my wbc has been elevated, it hovers between 10.4 to 17 with the neutrophils being the cell type that is high. I am also hugely over weight and have high esr 43 and Crp 32. A haematologist has been contacted but doesn't want to see me because the values are not that high. I am also type 2 diabetic which is now diet controlled and I am currently loosing weight on purpose.

My latest bloods results again are high but this time the neutrophils are 9.75, the lymphs are 5 and eosinophils are up at 1.2. This is a bit different and my doctor seems a little more concerned but I cannot get to see him for a week.

My anxiety is through the roof worrying about as I am trying to put the results into context. The differentials as in percentage of cell type are all normal it's just the absolute counts are high. I do have a cough at present and I was generally feeling a little rundown maybe with a cold the day after the bloods where taken.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with results like this, googling the results hasn't helped at all and has made my anxiety worse..

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place, this is all a little new to me.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul. I can see why you are concerned. A high white count means that you have some kind of infection somewhere. Maybe you do have colds a lot that cause this.

It looks like your losing weight is the smart thing to do. You can keep some of the problems under control that way. When your weight gets under coontrol better, and you can move around more, maybe you will have less colds and no longer have the infection causing the high white count. I will say a prayer for your success. harrishill

• Posted

Ok, I demanded to see a doctor today which surprisingly worked. He has reviewed my blood work for the last 4 years and is concerned as my crp has been up around 30 to 35 for the last 4 years and my esr level has been elevated also. He is going to refer me to a haematologist as it isn't normal.

He mentioned the C word too which has flipped my anxiety into overdrive, something about chronic raised crp can be a sign of malignancy. He did say that they have been constantly high and if it was a malignancy then he would have thought they would keep increasing. He did not fill me with any confidence. I am worried about my wbc and it's not that I should be.

I'll be honest I am freaking out, everyone says to relax but it's hard when they mention a risk of cancer.

• Posted

Just CRP or ESR does not equate to C word. 

You can also have autoimmune conditions that suggest increased leveles of CRP or ESR. 

However, the risk of both can be reduced dramatically,

if you reduce your weight by low diet and high exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.