Trying to Wean off Omeprazole after 8 years

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all I am trying to wean myself off of this drug after 8 years or so of taking 20mg pr day. I have acid reflux and find if i take the pill each day I usually don't have much trouble but am worried about taking it this long and would like to be free of it. I had a scope done years ago and they found a very mild inflammation and said I had a touch of gastritis. So back to the meds I started taking one every other day and that seemed pretty fine I did this for a week or so then have gone to every two days now I just went three days and the acid is back ...my question is how long should I take to wean off this medication. Anyone have any suggestions as I really need to get off of these meds . Hubby weaned himself off of it in about a months time with no real problem but I am not being so lucky.  Any input would be much appreciated.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My hubby still taking 15mg for the last 15 years..the trouble is when you look into it it's all about diet aswell!!which is a pain.no smoking no alcohol chocolate tea coffee...maybe it something in your diet!

suppose it's just safer to keep taking them

• Posted

Hi Donna it could be my diet too this flare up I believe is from Friday night we went out for pizza and I had one glass of wine which I haven't had in forever thought I'd be okay but apparently no I'm not allowed to enjoy wine anymore ...wine has caused me major problems with gastritis so I wasn't surprised I stopped drinking it for two months now so thought one glass would be okay but I was wrong and of course I'm trying to cut back on the meds so that wasn't very smart of me to have wine at this time...I am usually okay with coffee I have to have a coffee in the morning but can forgo it the rest of the day and stick to herbal teas instead ...such a pain ...I would keep taking the meds but am worried about the side effects from taking it too long

• Posted

Well some say it's best to do this really slowly so if I was you I would go back to once ever other day for a few weeks then reduce it again and see how you go have you tried gaviscon after meals that mite help or try adding a Zantac on days you don't take the ppi let us know how you get on because I would love to come off them to one day but at moment I'm still getting problems

• Posted

hi Gillian Gaviscon is my go to when my gastritis flares up so we always have some in the house ...I should have taken some when I went out on Friday I think trying to cut back on the meds and then going out and having 1 glass of wine flared everything up ...the gaviscon is helping a bit at the moment but I know it will be a few days before it subsides completely....think I will try going to every other day again for a month of two then try again I'll keep you posted

• Posted

I have also had it for 8 years and can only eat certain foods because of it. i am on 20Mg omeprazole twice a day and a few weeks back found out it's splashed in lungs and now have COPD so got to stop smoking which is the last thing i have and enjoy.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that John.it's like becoming a saint...what were your symptoms?

• Posted

Hi i had acid for years waking up choking then stopped smoking for 2 weeks and started again then found i could not eat dairy choclate most things to be honest and wife got the same. mine effects my throat more than anything and almosts makes me panic. Then i lost weight so doctor sent me to hospital had ct scan and they told me i had a bowl problem gallstones and emphysema / bronchiectasis sad not stopped smoking yet and don't really want to i am 55 most in my family only live until 60 all had cancer.

• Posted

oh I'm sorry to hear that it sucks and so many people have this now ...I stopped smoking 8 years ago I took meds for 6 weeks and was finished and have never looked back I couldn't have done it without the meds from the doctor though

• Posted

Hi John so sorry to hear this. Does your throat get hoarse? How long have u smoked and how much a day? What were your symptoms with your lungs? Does your wife have the same problems? I was wondering how long u had symptoms 8 yrs ago when u finally got diagnosed and did u try raniditine which is zantac
    • Posted

Hi Nancy

I have smoked for 40 plus years rolling tobacco 1oz last me 7 days so not a big smoker. Only sysmptom i have had is a tiny bit of rubbish first thing in the morning. 

my throat does not get hoarse, first i use to wakeup choking so started sleeping on the sofa which i have done for 6 years and hardly ever wakeup choking now. mine all started 8 years ago and got worse in the last 10 months when i stopped smoking tried vaping for 2 weeks got bad so went back to smoking again. my wife only about 9 months but her symptoms are not the same at all. Only got diagnosed this year and just had barium swallow and waiting for results.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. Will keep u in my prayers please keep me updated.
    • Posted

Thank you. Wish i knew how to add people has a friend on here but can't see how.

• Posted

How awful..must be hard for you.I'm smoking rollies around 4 a day but I also vape .it's so hard hey ...mines throat clearing and i only cough to clear my throat. ..have a stuffy nose and the odd feeling of throat tightness.doctor said it acid reflux.maybe I need to change meds as they not really working

• Posted

Yes i have throat clearing to get rid of the rubbish was told acid reflux will produce phlegm to stop the acid from damaging the throat
    • Posted

I see yours got worse when you vaped John..I'm vaping too and not sure wether it helps.good luck with your barium results John. please let me know how it goes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.