TSH 0.14L and free thyroxine 23h ???

Posted , 6 users are following.

GP is not in till Monday and receptionist just told me these results. Anyone know if they are normal or not as I'm having symptoms of hypo again. I'm currently on 75mg levothyroxine.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon, that is a low TSH reading, indicating that you may be overmdeicated, but I am not a doctor. Some symptoms of hyper can be tiredness too. The free thyroxine sounds high too, another hint that you are overmdeicated.
  • Posted

Agree, appears that u are hyper and yes sx can overlap. if u still have your thyroid i would suggest backing way down on t4 med levothyroxine/synthroid and adding t3. t3 made huge difference 4 me. md said some people feel better with t3 in high range of normal . even if youve had thyroidectomy as i have, back down on t4, add t3.....worth a try.
    • Posted

Thanks Gina, I was diagnosed in April, my thyroid was practically undetectable, after missing thecresults in December. I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for at all as GP has never explained anything to me. Initially i was put on 100mg of levothyroxine then next results was told to reduce to 75, then I was normal, however I started having symptoms again and that's the results I got today. It's so difficult to understand

• Posted

What does MD mean by not detectable? On lab or ultrasound? If he based that on one set of labs, those results could have been wrong. Obviously your thyroid is functioning for you to be so hyper with only 75 MCGS of t4. I would advise decrease dosage, maybe even wean off and start over. Have u had thyroid antibodies done, also US of thyroid and needle bx to check in Hashimotos. In my case, antibodies were not Hugh due to suppressed immune system thereforewas missed until I insisted on US and bx which confirmed Hashimotos. From there had it removed and now feeling better.Difficult finding doc to listen, I've been nurse 31 years and still had hard time getting taken seriously. Frustrating yes! of t4.

• Posted

Sorry for type is... Couldn't see screen while typing for ads!!

• Posted

Deary me it's a nightmare. All I know was in December my pituitary gland was releasing too high, by April I was really unwell, doctor took blood test and told me my thyroid was undetectable, I was then told the reason was my own immune system has attacked my thyroid. I have not had any other tests or been sent to endocrinologist, just my local doctor.

• Posted

Sharon, the best way to get informed is to go on Wikipedia, or just google TSH Test. Lots of info out there.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon, I've found that all the thyroid meds cause my TSH to drop to near zero, or undetectable. So it's normal to have low TSH while on thyroid meds.

However, also on the levothyroxin, I woukd expect it would be more likely for your T4 to be high and T3 to be low. If you're saying your T3 is high, then either 1. There was an error on the lab tests  / results, or 2. Your body is somehow compensating and has amoeba up your T3 production. Thus is highly unlikely, as levothyroxin is T4 only, so blood work generally shows T4 in the high range with T3 in the low range. That's IF you're dosing it right. But you see, how the medication because it is T4 only, will always result in high T4, in order to get T3 in range from the bottom. So your results of high T3 don't make sense. What was your T4?

• Posted

Thanks Catherine, I don't know what t3 is, all I know is my results were tsh 0.14 and free thyroxine 23. I don't actually know what t4 and t3 is, no doctor has explained anything to me. I have only had blood tests, no other tests

• Posted

Sorry, joyfully have to find out which free thyroxin they tested. I'd imagine T4, but best not to assume. Is there any way you can print out your results? If you can get the results, you can do some online searching.

with thyroid disease, you basically have to learn to be your own doctor, bc you'll have to be able to monitor averything yourself and advocate for whatever treatment you feel will work.

it takes time and research, but you'll figure it out. Once you get an understanding, you'll have a better feeling of what to try. 

Good luck!

• Posted

2 conditions that can look like hypothyroidism and is obviously the thyroid gland and the Menopause so must be checked out and always ask questions of your doctor, ask this if this was you doctor what would you do, that's a starting point if they give you any options of would you like to do this do that they are the experts so ask them!

that said you should check out a condition where your immune system is attacking your thyroid gland, this is called Hashimotoe's disease which you can put right!

can I ask have you put much weigh on in the last few months/years?

you see the thyroid takes care of all the cells in your body and this can affect the function of the organs in your body so putting this right is important! 

Would it it make sense if I told you to stop eating immune boosting foods and go on a high protine diet for 4-5 weeks then see what happens, after all you are just eating foods and not eating other foods, this helps your immune system understand that your thyroid gland is what it is apart of your body, 

foods nit to eat are as follows

carrots 

cabbage 

cauliflower

broccoli 

turnip

My fiancee had hypothyroidism and she is now cured all the blood tests came back as normal, this was after she was told she would have to go for a byopsy after she had a scan!

Hope this helps! 

• Posted

Thanks James. I have not been eating the foods you mention as I seen I should stay away from them. The doctor diagnosed me with severe hypothyroidism in April this year and I am underweight, i have never been overweight but since January I started losing more weight (due to feeling so ill) whereas they say I should show signs of being overweight.
    • Posted

Foods not to eat also include strawberries. You can do a search for goitrogens for a full list of foods to avoid.

If you really can't get by without cruciferous veggies (as this includes many healthy leafy greens) you can eat them in moderation if they are very well cooked.

• Posted

Hi James, good post and information. I have to caution though because it's typical for many illnesses to be blamed on menopause. Unfortunately, the "you're getting older and your hormone levels are dropping" is pretty much a catch all for any female medical complaint.

The REALLY horrible thing that people don't know, is that hypothyroidism causes both infertility and premature menopause. It's unfortunate that doctors don't recognize this and pass off female symptoms as unrelated.

Once the hypothyroidism is treated, the hormonal imbalances can be treated by natural means to rebalance, and will generally go back to normal. This results in the alleviation of "menopausal" symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.