TSH 21.97

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I have had an underactive thyroid for about 25 years and been on Levothyroxin since then. Just had bloods done with TSH 21.97 result. Upped from 100 to 150mg and bloods again in 6 weeks. Aching all over,  joints and muscles. I randomly get high TSH  even when on meds. My osteopath says I should probably be referred to an Endocrinologist. Not sure if I should ask GP to refer me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

YES! I can't believe you've been on meds 25 years without an endocrinologist. Please do see one even if everything settles down. That way, next time it happens, you already have a relationship with an Endo.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. I did not know that I should be.. guess I shelve stuff a bit and get on with it..(asthma/high BP/oral lichen planus/sleep apnea/under active thy...) I thought as the meds keep me within range most of the time nothing else needs doing. How should I deal with my joint and muscle pain? Pain killers? Exercises? How do you deal with it..
  • Posted

Not sure why posts were deleted.. did I say something wrong??

I cannot  be referred to an Endocrinologist as there are only 2 in the South East. And it's a year long wait and they only see hyper not hypo. Plus I am not bad enough. So just waiting for bloods at end of month. Will put up with the pains and get on with it.  smile

• Posted

Yeah, posts get deleted. Heaven forbid we share some useful information.

You absolutely should be seeing an Endo, as it's rare to get effective treatment from a GP and your disease has been ongoing for decades, so is unlikely to spontaneously remiss.

Check through the thousands of posts here. Others have had your same experience and offer helpful hints on what works to heal the immune system dystegulation that causes thyroid disease. This is your best approach, as you can take steps in between waiting for referrals, waiting for dr. Appointments, waiting for meds to work, etc.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me, as I'm happy to share what has and hasn't worked on my decades long struggle with hypothyroid disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.