TSH didn't change after i changed my dosage?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had total thyroidectomy so now i live excusively on thyroid pills.

Due to going hypothyroid  (TSH - 27)  while on levothyroxine dosage of: 150mg,  dosage was increased to 200mg, after 3 months TSH  was 0.04,  so dosage was decreased to 175mg, here lies the problem, after 35 days  i test myself again and results are TSH: 0.03.  that's even lower even though i decreased the dosage.

Can anyone explain this?  does the T4 need more time than 35 days to leave the body? or is it that  with 200mg  results where gonna  go even further down like 0.01 or something and by changing the dosage to 175mg it kinda worked like breaks on a car.

I guess shortly my question would be  was 35 days enough to get valid results back since results were identical  while on 200mg or 175mg, (tsh = 0.03 and 0.04 respectively). But while on 150mg  TSH goes  very high (27).

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deadrave, it takes a long time for a change of dosage affects testing.  I have also had a total thyroidectomy and a parathyroidectomy and I tend to be a bit unstable on my thyroxine too.  I had recently been taking 125mg but have now changed to having 150mg twice a week and 125mg on the other days.  If I changed to 150mg per day, I would soon be over.  Testing to check my TSH levels won't happen for 6 weeks, because before that they simply would not be showing accurately.  You may need to do similar to me though...and vary the dose on different days of the week before you get the results you are looking for.

• Posted

Hi

I have a 10 week wait between my blood tests, both the Dr and Clinician think that to do so before that does not give an accurate reading, so perhaps you should have another bllod test later.  I've had a total thyrodectomy and my results are all over the place.  On dosage I have gone from 100mcg down to 25mcg and back up to 100 and they cannot get my levels right.  I'm on 75 one day and 100 the next at the moment, but still have significant side affects, my TSH is just above the normal range, but my T4 is 24 - I think thats too high as when I was hyperthyroid at that level they increased my carbimazole to reduce it.  I just wish a lot more research was being done, I get fed up with doctors just dismissing all of the symptoms and just altering the dose and then having to wait 10 weeks to find out if the levels are correct, when you know within yourself that they are not.

Sorry to rant, I must be feeling sorry for myself this morning.

• Posted

Glennis, It is awful knowing by the symptoms that you are not right, yet needing it to show up on your blood tests to adjust meds.  I have also had a total thyroidectomy, 5 years ago, and my levels change a bit too.  I will be correct on 125 for a while, but then will go too low on it.  On 150 I go too high, so I now take 150 on Wednesdays and Sundays and 125 on the other days.  Sometimes the changes have to be as small as we can make them, to find what works for us.

I usually know I am "out" when I get angry easily.  I have horses and am normally very patient with them, but I will find myself angry over very little...which sends me to the dr.

Did you know that there are support groups on facebook?

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne.  Thanks for the advise, I'll speak to the doc and work another way of tweaking this, its obvious the alternate day system isn't working and having been up higher and down lower,I couldn't think of another way to go. I find that lack of sleep and anxiety are my two main factors and I cannot come to terms with being anxious, I used to be so totally laid back that it comes as shock to have to contend with this.   I wasn't aware of any groups on facebook, perhaps you could let me have some info on them. 

Glennis

• Posted

Type in hyperparathyroid and a list of parathyroid support groupls will come up.  I am a member in the UK one and the Australian one.  I haven't yet joined a thyroid one, but I am pretty sure typing hypothyroid or hyperthyroid would give a list too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.