TSH level is in normal range, but have symptoms of thyroid problems. What should I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 37 year old female.  My TSH level in my last blood work was 1.71, the normal range is 0.40-4.50.  I have several symptoms of thyroid issues i.e. fatigue, cold intolerance, hair loss, brain fog, low libido, etc.  I have been previously diagnosed with a B12 deficiency and am currently taking supplements for that, but those don't seem to help anymore.  What should I do if my TSH level is "normal"?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This happened to a family member of mine and after further investigation it turned out she had antibodies attacking her thyroid. There was nothing that could be done as it wasn't affecting anything that could be medicated. She had to wait till she could go on thyroxine. ...still waiting unfortunately

• Posted

Did your family member have the other thyroid tests (T3 and T4) done? I have an upcoming doctors appointment and I am going to talk to her about more blood work. I want to feel good again.
    • Posted

Yes. I think it's a different test for antibodies. It's my mum and because I'm underactive and have the symptoms that's why she got checked out.

• Posted

There is a huge amount that can be done with diet if you have Hashimotos. I was diagnosed a year ago and feel like a different person on diet changes alone.
    • Posted

Can you give me some suggestions? I have an appointment to have tests and talk to my doctor.
    • Posted

My post is under moderation so I am guessing it will get deleted. Will send you a private message.
  • Posted

It depends on the thyroid disease, some show high TSH, others don't.

Also, although there is a very broad normal TSH range, I can tell you that if my TSH gets up towards 2 or higher, I have horrible hypothyroid symptoms.

You'll need to test your T3 and T4 levels.

You'll also likely need to test your thyroid antibodies and reverse T3.

I've had mild hypothyroidism most of my life and have had severe hypothyroidism at two points in my life. After going through the meds, and side effects which were worse than the disease for me, I wish I'd known what I know now. 

It's a slow process to diagnose and treat thyroid disease. I watched my life spiral down the drain multiple times while riding the thyroid roller coaster.

You can empower yourself by cleaning up your diet, eating a high protein, clean diet, free of gluten and goitrogen foods. You can also try thyroid supplements, kelp for iodine, vitamins A and D, multimineral.  I've found cleansing to be extremely helpful, as well as the support of a good acupuncturist to manage symptoms while figuring things out.

please do take the time to read through the posts here on thyroid disease, levothyroxin, hypothyroidism and other thyroid related posts. You'll find a myriad of information of what others have encountered and how they dealt with it.

• Posted

The test to ask your doctor for to check for antibodies are the Tgab and TPO antibody test.  Ask your doctor for those.  If either one is positive, then that means you have Hashimoto's.  Hashimoto's is when your body mistakes your thyroid as an "invader" to your body and will continue to destroy it until it is is gone. 

• Posted

High antibodies indicate higher dosage that indicated by TSH or thyroxin levels. When you go to a higher dose, the TSH goes to near zero. This is how my treatment for Hashimoto's has been. I'm soooo over this taking over my whole life.

• Posted

Yes.. 'm on 100mcg of levo and my endo has got my TSH down to 0.67.   But my antibodies are still high.  My TPO antibodies are actually only 40, but my Tgab's are at around 500.  I'm not sure what to do to get them lower.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

• Posted

Removing immune triggers from your diet should help. Go with a high protein, Paleo type diet. Absolutely no gluten! Seriously, none!

limit dairy, soy, sugar and processed foods as much as possible. If it isn't homemade, don't eat it, is a good guideline.

I found some information that chlorella reduces inflammatory response, as does turmeric and other herbs, but haven't found a magic bullet yet. 

My my guess is it's more of an all over good health thing. So the better your diet, exercise and other factors, the better your immune system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.