TSH levels 4.18 miu/L (0.3 to 5.5) - what do you think??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I was put on Levothyroxine 50mg last September after being diagnosed as borderline hypothyroid. I've had a couple of retested since but have struggled to get  actual readings from my GP!

In myself I don't feel too bad. I am a little tired. I suffer with dry tongue and a weird bitter taste  in my mouth and recently have developed tinnitus… Particularly in one ear.

I am a 44-year-old woman. I have had intermittent periods since last August. I've only had three periods since that time. Also I have been tested for vitamin deficiencies and have been found to be slightly low in vitamin D. At the moment to my GP does not want to supplement me as she thinks it may just be due to the winter season.

Any comments on my levels would be much appreciated. The main reason I'm posting is because of the bitter taste and the tinnitus. I wondered if the levels would cause any of these things. Apologies as I am new to all this!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  Your TSH levels might be fine for some people but if you still have symptoms then maybe it is too high for you.  From what you say to seem to be in the menopause which as you know can cause all sorts of symptoms as can hypothyroidism. There is so much disagreement in the medical profession as to the normal TSH range.  The new thinking by some is 0.3 to 3 with 1 to 2 being the optimum.  If you go on line you will find a complete list of hypothyroid symptoms which also

can apply to other problems.  So it is difficult knowing what causes what.  I know

only too well.  I also have low Vitamin D which I think can be common with 

hypothyroidism.  I'm not sure about the tinnitus and dry tongue might be 

symptoms of hypothyroidism.  Try googling Thyroid UK for info.  If only gp's

would treatment patients not blood tests.  Since I have been taking Vitamin D3 my

tsh has reduced from 2. something to .93. So there may be a connection.  Try to

find out as much as you can about the condition.  I have found that GP's only go

by the bloodtests.  The main symptoms I had when first diagnosed over 20 years

ago were fatique, feeling the cold and dry skin.  If I remember my TSH was around 5.  I think it is also common for hypothyroidism to show up around menopause.  Certainly I know of a few who got diagnosed in the 40's and 50's.

Are you still on the 50mg dose?  It can take time to fully work.  I would go back to

your GP and ask what your blood results were, and go from there.  Hope you sort

out the tinnitus and dry tongue.  Good luck keep in touch on the forum

• Posted

In regards to general hormone balance, ashwagandha and

maca root are two adaptogenic herbs that have been proven to help balance hormones.

I am a 47 year old female with hyperthyroidism and exhausted adrenals...and perimenopause as icing on the cake!

A difficult and challenging healing for sure at our age! Listen to your intuition. If you have symptoms, it doesn't matter if the medical tests are "normal. " You deserve to feel well and be healthy!

I don't particularly care for (or trust) the conventional medical community. I do a lot of research on my own and utilize herbal supplements. An appointment with a Naturopath may be a consideration if you're open to it.

I've had ringing in my ears since childhood and have been through lots of testing and everyone has said there is nothing wrong. I've lived with it for years now.

Symptoms may be somewhat different from person to person, with many symptoms in common.

Best of luck!

Veronica

• Posted

People deserve to know there are other healing modalities that exist and that may be quite effective, if not even heal heal entirely.  

Conventional medicine is NOT the only way to heal health challenges and disease.

The polices of this forum reflect the interests of conventional medicine in general, and more specifically, the interests of pharmaceutical companies (i.e. "Big Pharma" ).

I am extremely disappointed ("disgusted" may be a more appropriate word)  and will not use your forum further. 

Veronica

• Posted

Hello Veronica,

As a forum user I follow some threads, like this one.

I shouldn’t be upset by the response you caused,, users have made qualified comments and mentioned herbs etc but they don’t suggest or hint going it on your own and not keeping in sync with their doctor, its important that any changes you make that may effect your medication should be discussed with your doctor first,, otherwise he or she aint going to be able to help you.

The thyroid is so very important to our body,, but,,,, shall we say,,, to dislocate from your doctor is more than unwise, its actually dangerous. I can appreciate those who are frustrated, its not easy, I have quite a few tea shirts,,,,,, but you have to have a medical guide, your doc,,,,, changing your doctor or having a real heart to heart may be what some require,, but thinking they are of no use is not the answer,,, its not an easy complaint being hypo or hyper thyroid, not for doc or patient,, its not a broken leg,,, we all know that to easily,,, the way I see it is,,, you have to connect with your doctor,,, if you cant then respectfully, note respectfully,, change doc,,, the doc you have may be brilliant in some areas but not with these problems, we are all human, even the doc, and you yourself may be perhaps, not so good, in some areas of your own discipline, be it whatever,, being perfect or excellent is a tough goal, personally I know I couldn’t  make it.

I have tried to use my words carefully, some address the initial point raised, and some your good self, with only the wish to be calming.  I do think (just my opinion) you put the moderator between a rock and a hard place,, you may consider that may have been so on reflection. Smile please. Why not?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.