TSH levels are "low normal", but I am not normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Since the beginning of this year I've been feeling extremely out of sorts.  Fatigued, and with no motivation, very dry skin and hair, dizziness/lightheadedness on the occasion, extremely heavy and irregular menstrual cycle.  I even forget words and sometimes find holding a conversation or train of thought difficult, which is very unusual for me as I am generally an academic person.  I've always been on the sluggish side, with a slow metabolism, but never like this.  I feel as though life is moving too quickly for me.

Okay, so enough woe is me.  Needless to say, I went to the doctor about two months ago now.  She did a bunch of tests and announced that I had low iron, extremely low vitamin D, and "low but normal" TSH.  She prescribed iron and vitamin D tablets, which I've been taking.  They've helped a little bit, but not very much, and I wonder how much of it was a placebo effect.

At the time I spoke with the doctor, I didn't realise that my family actually has a strong history of hypothyroidism.  My symptoms seem to tick all the boxes, but the blood test says otherwise.

Is it possible to have hypothyroidism symptoms, but still be in the normal range, hormone-wise? Because that's exactly what I feel like is the case with me.

Many thanks smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What were your blood test results? Have you tested your antobodies?
    • Posted

Thanks for the response, Jenny.  I actually have no idea, as it's not common practice with my doctor to give a copy of the blood test results unless I ask, which I didn't (this is very common in Australia).  I can call and ask for a copy, and let you know.

Interestingly, the office called me soon after I got home from that appt. to ask whether Dr. had spoken with me about my thyroid.  I said yes, because she had: she had commented it was low, but still normal.  However, the office only calls if one of the results is abnormal.  I deduce from this that it's on the cusp.

Anyway, I'll ask for the results and get back to you.  Thanks again for your response.

• Posted

It's often useful to know if you are on the cusp. I've been told results are normal only to find they are outside the range with the doctor interpreting it's fine. Another doctor suggests it should be treated. Not thyroid mind useful knowing the results especially if going for a second opinion. 

• Posted

Hi

I am the same as you and constantly trying to seek answers. I only ever feel half human when I'm a bit over medicated. Then the doctors don't allow it,tell you to reduce it and back to square one again. Im very academic like you, but since hypothyroidism my brain is like mash potato. It's soul destroying. Ive looked into other elements such as iron and vit D and also take supplements but I still feel awful.

I buy thyrogold online without prescription as levothyroxine made me feel depressed and they were reluctant to prescribe t3 due to cost. I feel better than I was on levothyroxine but still pretty groggy. I dont know what the answer is. I feel like my whole life and personality has been taken away by this. I do hope you find the a answers you need x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.