TSH levels decreased from 65 to 14 w/in 6 wks on 25 mcg Levothyroxine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. TSH levels 65, T4 low, and very elevated TPO of about 600+ ... Started on 25 MCG of Levothyroxine. 6 weeks later my TSH is down to 14. Is this pretty normal on such a low dosage of Levothyroxine? Will I likely stay on this doasge or will it likely increase at my next visit in 2 more weeks? Will there be ups and downs? I just understood that it would be a whole process getting my levels 'normal' and it seems to very quickly be decreasing. Although I still have many symptoms like tiredness, fatigue, brain fog, extreme insensitivity to cold.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was only diagnosed last week, but had similar results to you. I really hope I can reduce as quickly as you - I was put on 75mg!! I have headaches and wonder if I should reduce it. We're you diagnosed with Hashimoto 's? I was, but wonder if it that's correct. 4 weeks before my tag levels were at 16, but now they are at 79. However I had just come off a 6 week gluten elimination diet, so wondered if it was higher before. My t4 was 6.8 and antibodies 477. Did you antibodies reduce as well?

In answer to your question I think everyone is different, you could stabilise and that would be a great result! Let us know what happens!

• Posted

Yes I was diagnosed with Hashi's. Initial blood work shows TSH 65 and free T4 0.4... Then they redid blood work with TPO and my TSH 48 and free T4 0.7 and TPO 540. I actually just recently had blood work for something else with a different doc and they just called to let me know TSH was 14 now. I actually go back to see my doctor for my thyroid in a couple weeks for more blood work. So I should know then if my meds will stay the same or be changed. I still have most symptoms. Hoping to feel better soon. Good luck!
    • Posted

I actually had copies of my lab work now, so I can see exact levels. Lol
  • Posted

It is good your levels are down so quickly. Probably they will give you 25mg depending on how your body responds. Normal levels are 0.04 to 4 but a good doctor will go by how you feel. That is my experience anyway.
  • Posted

Hello Tonimikey:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA and I have Hashimoto's thyroid  atoimmune disease since 1987. It is a form of Hypothyroidism.

Antibodies above 10 are indicating autoimmune disease.  TSH 65 is off the chart since normal should be 0.45 to 4.50 and high end of scale means Hypo.

Levothyroxine 25mcg is a low dose thyroid replacement hormone and now that your TSH is 14 it is much better and is coming down.  It takes 6 to 12 weeks to build a proper level.  The body is slow!

You most likely will be on 50mcg soon.They will draw blood again and see.  Most people are on 75mcg to 125mcg depending on weight and symptoms.

You must take Levo on an empty stomach and wait 1 hour before eating.  Food will block Levo from working.  Take it at the same time each day.  It will help keep the antibodies down.

Symptoms will fade as your level improves so that will get better. Also you most likely should be on a multivitamin with Iron it in.  Levo needs good ferritin levels  above 70+ and ferritin is a component of Iron and it helps it work better. Many of us are low and have no idea about it.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

So Shelly my last blood test was 0.01 TSH after taking 75 mgs and I feel fine now.
    • Posted

Hello Gillian:

Well as long as you feel well.  TSH may be in the Hyper zone but as long as you feel good that is what counts.  TSH is just a sensor test and as long as you feel good and can function, I would not place a lot of emphasis on just the TSH.  Some people can have a low TSH but good T4 and T3.

Keep me posted on how it goes,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly. My T4 was 20 and T3 normal. Good to have your knowledge as a Nurse on this forum. Bless you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.