Tsh levels help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a blood test and my results show a normal free t4 and tsh of 4.51. It says the normal range of the tsh should be 0.35-5. Last year when I was tested it was 2.72 and 3 years before it was 2.0. My mum has had an overactive thyroid and has now had radioiodine treatment and my older sister has an underactive thyroid. I have also been feeling generally unwell for about a month and have put weight on and very difficult in losing any. Is it likely to keep rising and develop into underactive thyroid? And is 4.51 enough to be feeling symptomatic even though it's in normal range?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I believe that a TSH of 4.51 is definitely enough to be symptomatic.  Your TSH should really be no higher then 2.00 to feel good.   For myself, I need to be at 1.00 in order to be sympton free.  You should ask your doctor for the Tgab and TPO antibody test.  If either or both of these test are positive, then you have Hashimoto's.  Hashimoto's is the main cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries.  It's where your body is attacking and destroying your own thyroid gland.  Being you are symptomatic, make sure you get these these test.  If your doctor will not test you, find a new one.  A good doctor will treat you based on your symptoms.. not your TSH result.

• Posted

Thanks they told me blood test was normal. I think unless it shows higher Im stuck till I feel worse enough for it to show .
  • Posted

Did the dr just do a TSH test?  Or did he do a free t4 and free t3 as well and if so how did they turn out?
  • Posted

Michelle, you can certainly feel symptomatic in the high normal TSH range. Try to get tested for other things including Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which needs the test for antibodies to detect it.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I too haven been feeling unwell... for at least 8 months. My tsh levels have risen the last 3 blood tests..Nov,Feb and April.. it is now 4.63..have a lot of symptoms for underactive thyroid so having more bloods done in 4 weeks with the antibodies test..the doc says it's either that or cfs.. I've read a lot about the normal range being 0.3 - 4 but under 2.5 being ideal. Hope u get answers soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.