TSH levels "normal", but convinced they're wrong.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I need help.

I have been to about seven doctors now, and finally the latest one sent me to have some blood tests done. He only sent me for a few specifics (TSH being one) and found that I am severely anemic. He said my TSH levels were "normal".

I've been doing so much research and understand that blood tests for thyroid issues can be wrong a lot of the time. I've also read that anemia is one of the first signs hypothyroidism/hashimoto's is getting worse. I'm convinced I have it, but can't seem to get any help.

I have been struggling with sinus issues for over a year and a half now, every single day. I get constant migraines that affect my life. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and other mental health problems. I had my son almost 3 years ago now (i've read that women, especially post pregnancy are at risk for thyroid issues). I'm in pain often, very tired, dizzy... just, so many symptoms.

What can I do? I've done the temperature test myself at home and every time it's shown that it's below what it should be. Do I keep searching for a doctor or just start a natural health path myself? I'm giving up hope on doctors. It's so stressful and I feel like no one listens or takes me seriously.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I applaud you for your thoughtful pursuits and encourage you to read through the thousands of thyroid posts on this site. It will give you s good understanding of what other thyroid patients deal with. 

Thyroid idisease can often go undiagnosed for decades. There is no bioidentical treatment for it, and it is most often caused by autoimmune disease. And in fact thyroid disease is classified as either Hashimoto's or Grave's disease. Most autoimmune disease is triggered either by toxins or by microbial exposure. The autoimmune disease affects other parts of the body besides the thyroid, so most thyroid patients also have severe gut and other problems, food sensitivities, etc, Other conditions that thyroid patients commonly experience include Addison's disease, adrenal exhaustion, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromialgya, menstrual cycle complications, infertility. Many patients find the side effects of the medications worse than the disease. A lifetime of obsession over thyroid dosing, and constant blood level monitoring is expensive and time consuming.

The traditional belief is that there is nothing to be done about thyroid disease besides thyroid medication, radiation or surgery. This is no longer true, as there are many dietary improvements, supplements and cleansing regimes that can help minimize the autoimmune disease, and even cause thyroid disease to go into remission.

i spent 5 years messing around with thyroid medications. I tried 8 different ones. None work the same as the real deal.  The dosing was impossible, it never worked right, and I feel it worsened my thyroid disease and caused a bunch of other health problems that will take years to recover from. From my experience, I'd say use your head and do some research on what has worked for other people.

I'm happy to share what has worked for me, as I wish someone had told me what I know now, at the start of the disease.

• Posted

The severe anemia can definitely be causing all of your symptoms.  When I'm just mildly anemic, I feel like crap.  Also.. to be sure if you have something thyroid related going on, you can ask your doctor for TGab and TPO antibody test.  One or both, will be positive with Hashimoto's.  Also.. an unltrasound of your thyroid can be a big help and may give some answers.  You should talk to your doctor about these test, and tell him about your worries.  If he won't send you for the test, find a new doctor..  A good doctor will listen and help..

• Posted

Amanda, I was thinking a little more. What is your TSH? The range here in the US is very broad for "normal". I'd certainly consider a TSH of 2 to be borderline and 2.5 to be of concern. 

Another thing you mention is sinus infections. This could indicate chemical exposure, mold or exposure to other allergens that is compromising your immune system. I e struggled in the past with sinus infections through a limited period and found it to be caused by chemical exposure. Once I removed myself from that exposure, I no longer experienced sinus infections. Or at least not to the point of needing medical attention. 

Lastly, in addition to anemia, many other deficiencies can cause and look like hypothyroid symptoms. B deficiencies, D, magnesium, selenium, copper, low protein intake... The list goes on and on. 

With thyroid disease, you basically have to troubleshoot everything else in your diet and lifestyle, unless you have either insanely off bloodwork or large thyroid cysts. For this reason, many thyroid patients go years without diagnosis. Even then, diet and lifestyle choices can go a long way towards improving thyroid function.

• Posted

wow! thank you so much for all of the information and help. i've read that thyroid issues can go undiagnosed for years sometimes and that worried me. i guess i'd rather catch it asap before it gets worse, but maybe that might be difficult considering doctors sometimes don't take the tsh levels that aren't high into consideration, huh?

i'm not exactly sure what my tsh level was, i wish i asked for a specific number.all the doctor said was that it was fine, and i brought up concern about my thyroid and he just said "if there was anything wrng it would have shown in your tsh level." but i know it can be missed sometimes, especially if not properly tested.

i thought at first maybe my sinus problems were due to some exposure as well, but i've moved three times within a year and a half and nothing has helped. even to a different province (i'm in canada). i thought maybe the climate and other things but no luck.

i also thought maybe an issue would be other deficiencies, but i'm not sure. the doctor also tested for b vitamins and such, and he said everything else was fine besides my iron.

i've been looking into maybe trying to balance my hormones out naturally and going gluten free to see if maybe it would help me at all since i've read a lot about that helping people as well.

it's so frustrating feeling like i'll be "sick" forever. i don't even remember what it's like to feel good sad

• Posted

Gluten free diet is recommended for good thyroid health, as well as a paleo style diet, as you need the protein. I've gotten good relief from amino acids, boron, conlimated B vitamins and other supplements. I tell people about the amino acids because it was incredibly helpful and something I'd never heard or read about.

Alwo heavy metal detoxing is important to keep in mind. Mercury toxicity causes low thyroid function but it doesn't show up because it causes the T3 to be bound up, by high rT3 levels. Most people never get their rT3 levels tested...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.