TSH Normal but Cholesterol & CK high with Hypothyroid symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hiya guys,

I'm trying to wade through all the of the varying info on thyroid issues. My ability to focus, my fatigue, my headaches, sensitivity to cold, my acne, my constant sense of being rundown, my suddenly greying hairs at 24 years old, and varying symptoms that could go on, led me to this forum.  

In October I had some tests run because I felt awful. I just got a full print out of them today because - I still feel awful despite the doctor in October telling me everything was fine. I looked at the print out today and it shows me that my TSH is at 1.82 mIU/L and my free thyroxine is at 15.6 pmol/l which i know are both deemed normal. 

However what I also was quite confused to discover and what my doctor didn't mention -I'm a very healthy eater and run marathons, work out regularly - was my cholestorel is very high at 5.4. My CK is also up at 277 and my neutrophils down 1.96 and transferrin saturation at 18%. I've read into the links between both raised CK and cholestorel with hypothyroid and there does seem to be some,but I'm unsure.

So. I thought I'd ask you guys. Is it possible this is a thyroid issue still even though they say normal levels? Should I push for further testing in this area or just move on?  

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you all for your supportive comments.Byrnie, I live in London and I am a biochemist by training and teach chemistry. So I do understand how the chemistry works, but my GPs treat me like an idiot. 

Mary, I have been going to the GP for years complaining of severe fatigue and very painful bones. Most of my bloods show below the minimum level of vitaminD and ferritin. I have been on iron and vitaminD tablets for over 10 years and antidepressants on three long episodes of over 5 years. This year   I decided to stop all medications to see if I could lose some weight. I also felt like I was being patched up instead of the root cause being addressed. I have now decided to see an endocrinologist privately. 

I just cannot be bothered to fight the system. I need to give myself the chance to have a pain free life.

• Posted

Samia

Is it possible to pm with the details of the private endo?  U are ot alone in this dilemma.

• Posted

Hi Jane

Imperial Centre for Endochrinology - The team is awesome and academics still involved in research. Initial consultation is around £225, then bloods (depends) and follow up is £175. It sounds like a lot, but will be worth it.

• Posted

Hi Samia

Thanks for the info. I agree the cost of being pain free is immeasurable.

Is it possible to have the names of the team that is involved in endocrinology research etc please.

Do you know how much antibody tests are at all? I would be interested to know if they are less expensive in London as there is so 

much competition in this area/speciality.

Take care you will get there.

• Posted

The clinic I did mine in charges £135 for TSH T3,4 and the antibodies. I think it is the same lab they use. If you go to London blood tests online you will see the whole range. The tests are done at the Doctors Laboratory in Wimpole St and your results get emailed to you within4 hrs.
    • Posted

Hi Samia

Thanks for the info. Which antibody tests were done? 

• Posted

Thanks Samia

I am sorry my posting was very brief it is just that I am presently feeling unwell. I am sorry that you have had to go through all this, this is not how it should be.

It seems that we have to struggle so much ib order to get the thyroid screening done.It is so frustrating. I thik that you are doing the right thing in going to the endo team at IMPS> It is worth it imho just to get peace of mind. This is obviously very important.

Also I am glad that you are going to have your antibodies and T3 checked.

• Posted

Hi guys

So I have got some test results back via the phone today will make an appointment to actually sort it out further and to ask exactly what my thyroid results showed. But I've been prescribed vitamin D supplements cos apparently my levels are abnormally low. It's all very odd ok I live in London but I eat really well - particularly vitamin d products- and am outdoors a lot. I've also been iron deficient before and seen raised cholesterol and ck levels. It just all seems odd to me.

Does anyone know of a link between hypothyroidism and vitamin d levels?

• Posted

Hi Byrnie

Thyroid UK website and all recent research link vitamin D to hypothyroidism. Karim Meeran is a leading endocrinologists who does research in this area. But you need TSH to be over the NICE threshold for the GP to make a connection.

good luck

• Posted

Hi Byrnie, sorry if i seem a bit dim,could you tell me what NICE is or stands for ?please Thank you in advance.
    • Posted

NICE stands for:

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. It is this body's guidelines GPs have to follow in treating patients.

• Posted

It is NICE that governs the medication the NHS will pay for.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.