TSH of 70, on 175mcg thyroxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been feeling rubbish for months now, fatigued, body aches brain fog etc.

my last tsh reading was within the normal range, I had a blood test last week and gp rang me to say that my and to increase my meds to 200mg.

thing is this keeps happening, they raise my thyroxine then repeat blood tests, then they lower, lower it again to around 175\150 alternate days I get to normal range then the symptoms kick in again and my tsh goes mad and then they increase and the pattern continues.

my tsh has never been 70 before so slightly worried that this constant yo yo is going to have an adverse effect on my body

any advice greatly received

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm very uneducated re thyroid since it's still new to me and I have more serious things to worry about but I just read recently that you should be having a T3, T4 also drawn if medication isn't working because some people need a second medication. 

Hopefully someone more educated will jump in and give you a better answer.  

• Posted

Hi Siouxsi16

I have also had a tsh in range when my body was  saying no! I was diagnosed in 2000. Recently I had a very interesting appointment with an endocrinologist who requested many blood tests. It was a joy to speak to someone who listened and understood me.

I also have a aching joints but it’s confusing as I also have osteoarthritis. I’m looking forward to getting the blood results,  which I hope will answer my many questions.

I hope you are able to get some stability with your levels.

• Posted

Hi Siouxs, TSH of 70 and 175 mcg of meds?  I’d start with a retest to make sure the TSH of 70 isn't a lab error. 

Well, 200 is pretty much the max on the meds and another 25 mcg isn’t going to lower your TSH by 69.   A dose of 200 is very high and can be extremely damaging to your health. I’m sorry to say I don’t tgink the medication is working for you.

The synthetic thyroxin can make your thyroid condition worse. My guess is you need to try an NDT. 

• Posted

Hi they retested and it was still around the 70 mark.

my highest dose has been 225 Mcg in the past,

whats a ndt?

thanks

• Posted

NDT is Natural Dessicated Thyroid medication. You get it by prescription. It contains both T4 and T3. It works better than synthetic meds because it is natural and contains T3 as well as T4. The NDT contains higher levels of T3 than your body normally makes.

The closest to human thyroxin is a product called ThyroGold. You can buy online without a prescription. This is the best treatment available for thyroid disease. 

Thyroid medication in general doesn’t work like your own body’s thyroxin, so a lot of people have difficulties with the meds.

If you’re having gut problems, you may have malnutrition. So its very important to take vitamin, mineral and essential amino acud supplements.

• Posted

Hi there

I too have just had a blood test and my tsh is 40! I’ve been on oroxine for 15 years and had treated my thyroid with the radioactive tablet back then. It’s never gone this crazy so not sure what’s going on. I have gut problems though. My iron is low too - my ferritin. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.