tsh results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Any thoughts, my result for tsh yesterday was 3.94 lab range ( 0.27 - 4.20) this is a repeat test back in July it was 4.77, serum free t4 17.1 lab range (11.00 - 25.00) thyroid peroxidase antibodies 6.8 range ( <35.00), doctors comment low risk of progression to overt thyroid disease.  thing is i still feel awful and don't know what to do now.  any comments would be welcome. i am not on any meds at all. thanks doctors="" comment="" low="" risk="" of="" progression="" to="" overt="" thyroid="" disease.=""  thing="" is="" i="" still="" feel="" awful="" and="" don't="" know="" what="" to="" do="" now.=""  any="" comments="" would="" be="" welcome.="" i="" am="" not="" on="" any="" meds="" at="" all.="">

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dr Toft the renowned endocrinologist thinks TSH should around 1-2 not above and it reasonable for a GP to give at least a trial of 25mcgms of Thyroxine if you have symptoms which could be attributed to an under active thyroid. I would ask to be put on this dose as you are not far off being over the blood measurements which would indicate Hypothyroidism Good luck. Maggie
    • Posted

Thanks Maggie, it's very hard to argue with your GP when he says to you "I don't think your thyroid is drving your symptoms" but then says but I don't know what is.  I don't want to come across as neurotic but at the same time don't want to feel rubbish. Thanks Pat
    • Posted

I was put on anti depressants when I said I thought I was under medicated on Thyroxine. I changed my GP and I asked for a referral to Dr. Toft. This was almost 10 years ago and I was then in my mid 60s. He thinks that some people need T3 as well as T4. You can get a copy of his book via Amazon, only about £6.00.I am not sure where you live but the British Thyroid Association who have a web site have support groups who might be of assistance to you.Maggie

• Posted

Hello Patricia:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

TSH is with in normal levels from your result of 3.94.  It is better now than in July since it is more middle of the range.

It would be better if we knew the T3 level alone.  That is what your body needs to function well, and you could be a bit low there and that would explain you not feeling better by now.

Doctor's tend to assume if the TSH is okay, the rest is, and that is wrong.  So are you having signs of low thyroid?

They are:  Weight gain, feeling depressed, muscle aches, feeling cold, dry skin and brittle nails,hair loss,  muscles aches.  These are common ones there are more.

Can you go to a private doctor and get a T3 level?  You do not have to repeat the TSH level.  Also you need a mineral panel to include, Sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, ferritin, and I would pay for a VIt D.  Or ask your GP to do the mineral panel and Vit D.  We do lose Vit D as we age, and it can make you feel awful and cause muscles pains and will lead to brittle bones.  You may want to buy a good multi-vitamin with D in it and see if it helps.

Your TPOA antibodies are okay and that is good.  Mine were high as I have an autoimumme problem.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask,  Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, thanks for the reply, yes I have all those symptoms you listed.  I did get a print out of bloods I had taken in July things like sodium, calcium, potassium and ferritin were normal.  Don't know about my vit D.  It's just I know there is alot of discussion as to what the top of range should be for tsh, some argue it should be 3.  I don't understand why it is when people start thyroxine doctors like the tsh range to be blow 2 and yet it's seen as 'normal' to have a tsh of 3.94 or 4.77.  I have started a multivitamin tab and I am trying to cut wheat out of my diet as I was having awful irritable bowel type symptoms.

I too am a Registered Nurse!  Thanks alot. Pat

• Posted

Hello Patricia:

The TSH Zone is anywhere between 0.34-5.60 in USA.  Just like with cholesterol levels and Diabetes blood sugar levels, it has come to be, the so called  "ideal level".  Some of us can reach it and others are with in the range given.

The main thing is you have symptoms. So you could ask the doctor for a low dose of LEVO say 25mcg to help get you below 3 in the range. Please also ask him to run a Vitamin D level.  You may be low in that, and that is treatable.  I am on Vit D also.  It does help. 

Keep us posted on how you do.

Regards,  Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.