TSH, T4, T3, S-TRAK (antibodies) - pls comment :)

Posted , 7 users are following.

S-TSH: <0.02me (0.3-4.2)="" s-t4:="" 49="" pmol/l="" (12-22)="" s-t3:="" 22="" (3.1-6.8)="" s-trak="" (s="" antibodies):=""> 40 (1.8) (off the chart as it can't be measured higher than 40).

Are these values extreme?? My doctor said that they were very high (or low TSH) but I would like to know if anyone else has similar values.

Thank you, I would really appreciate your comments.

Ange

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am having parathyroidectomy surgery tomorrow am I being realistic to think I will feel good enough to go on a 4 day road trip?
  • Posted

Very low TSH indicates hyperthyroidism along with very high FT3 and Ft4 (just the opposite), confusing, I know.
  • Posted

Hello A05119:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease but I know enough about Hyper and Hypo Thyroid disease.

When you have alow number on your TSH test, (which is like a sensor in your body) Your level is way below 0.3 so if on the low end of the scale it means Hyperthyroidism.  If on the higher end it means Hypothyroid.

Antibodies test is for a check to see if you have an autoimmune condition such as Graves disease, a form of Hyperthyroidism.

Normal T4 should be 12-22 so at 49 you are high and that means you have too much in your system. The same for T3.

So there is treatment for Hyperthyroidism. They sometimes remove a lobe of the gland and also have a medication to slow it down. You can discuss that with your  Endocrinologist.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Do you have any symptoms? Your T4 and T3 values are well above the upper reference limit. I looked up my results and with a T4 above 60pmol/L I was feeling poorly with symptoms like very high pulse rate, restlessness, hand tremor, sweating, fatigue, ...

Your body has recognised that your thyroid hormone level (T3 and its precursor T4) is too high and tries to lower it. It does so by reducing the production of thyroid stimulating hormone TSH. That's why your level of TSH is low at 0.02mE/L. Your thyroid has special receptors that are designed specifically for TSH. If TSH molecules attach themselves to those receptors they stimulate the thryoid to produce more thyroxine. 

Unfortunatley, when you have Graves disease your body also produces TSH receptor antibodies. These can also attach to your thyroid receptors. Some antibodies mimick the action of 'genuine' TSH thus causing your thyroid to produce excessively much T4. Other antibodies just block the receptors preventing 'genuine' TSH from attaching.

In your case the total TSH receptor antibody level is very high. My value was 10.8. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.