Tummy cramps one week since gallbladder removal

Posted , 8 users are following.

its one week today since I had surgery to remove my gallbladder.

I get stomach ache after eating.

is this normal?

I eat low fat, gluten free small meals.

is there something I can do to help this problem?

The incision sites are not painful.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I too had gallbladder removed 1 week ago and have same but with bloating too, so I'm interested to see what replies/advice you get. I've started drinking peppermint tea today & it has eased a little.

• Posted

oh, so we're both at the same stage. interesting to swap symptoms, although it seems everyone's different and some people seem to sail through the whole thing and eat whatever they like with no ill effects.

I had IBS before I had the surgery so I think my tummy was already a bit fragile.

I also have alot of anxiety which doesn't help.....

Im trying chamomile tea today and I've eliminated dairy products to see if that helps.

Hope you're recovering well and please keep in touch.

• Posted

beckyooo I was a little bit confused. you were still consuming dairy after surgery. you have to completely cut out fats. no cheating or you will be hurting. I had mine out about 2 years ago and let me ya I still have pain when I eat fats.

• Posted

Hi Becky, how are things with you now? Well we are now 2 weeks post op so just wondered how you are feeling?

• Posted

Hi. Can't believe it's already 2 weeks tomorrow. Well looking back I realise that I was too impatient and worried unnecessarily. I have good days and bad ones but am definitely feeling much better. Ive just seen my surgeon for my post op checkup. Everything is fine and healing nicely.

My digestive system isn't yet back to normal. last week I had bad diarrhoea but after I took Loperamide it cleared up and now I have the opposite!

I still have gurgles and gas which causes some pain but it's improving. Doctor recommends eating six small meals instead of 3 and I have Omeprazole to take.

I still get tired very quickly but Doctor says it's quite normal and should improve in next two weeks.

How are you feeling now?

• Posted

oh good, I'm so pleased things are improving for you, yes I've just started with the diarrhoea the past couple days even though I'm sticking to low fat, no spicy foods. Still get tired easily. Saw my gp last Friday due to constant pain behind bellybutton and a hard lump which she said shes not sure about but wants to wait a couple weeks to see if it improves, but it hasn't yet, so fingers crossed. I'll probably msg you again in couple weeks if thats alright with you?

• Posted

Yes, please do contact me whenever you like.

Are you taking something for the diarrhoea? The Loperamide stopped mine in its tracks.

I hope the belly button problem improves.

Take care,

Becky

• Posted

Time!!!! you have had major surgery, it takes time for you internal wounds to heal and your digestive system to adapt.

I am a year down the line and my surgeon told me very low fat for the first six months. Be kind to yourself, rest and remember we are all different.

best wishes.

• Posted

Don't be in such a hurry, it takes alot longer than a week to heal, especially on the inside. I had mine out 2 years ago and I still have to have low fat foods. Be kind to yourself and relax, don't rush into going back to work or do any exercise. They say you should be ok to work after 2 weeks but it was 3 weeks for me and then only part time and light duties as you will get tired quickly.

Keep eating small amounts that are low fat, not rich or spicy. Everyone is different so find what foods suit you and stick to those for a while and then gradually introduce other foods. It doesn't have to be gluten free unless this is what your body requires. I had a very bland and simple food, rice, jacket potatoes, toast etc

Things will improve but it does take a while and you're talking months to get better.

Good luck and take it easy.

• Posted

I had the same issues. just a stomach ache after eating lunch. didn't matter what I ate. lasted a couple hours. finally one day it just stopped. mine started at 2 weeks post op and stopped after about a week. keep resting and give it time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.