Tummy Issues - HELP!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Started Sertraline 50mg two and a half weeks ago. Had terrible tummy ache / diarrhoea constantly.

Anyone else the same / have any ideas on how to combat it / experiences on it fading away?

I still have high anxiety when waking up and am grinding teeth too, but by the evenings feel a little better.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Pete,

I hear you!! Firstly, well done on staying on it and not bouncing when things got tough! I am on my 3.5th week of Sertraline so I'm probably right where you are at this stage now. For the full 3.5 weeks I've had diarrhoea every day no matter what I eat. I also wake up every single morning and within 10mins I'm nauseous and gagging! I also feel weak when I get up for a good hour 😦 From all the threads I've read through this seems to be a common side effect which doesnt bode well for me because my anxiety was pushed over the edge when I was sick with prolonged Gastroenteritis and then Gastritis. So not very ideal that this medication causes Tummy issues. I was so bad on this medication for the first week I ended up in A&E twice with a severe and prolonged panic attack. I thought I was going insane. I am also grinding my teeth bad, the first week was so bad i could barely chew my food I was that sore after grinding all night. I'm not as bad now but i have noticed I clench/tighten my jaw throughout the day and when i catch myself i correct it. Apparently this all gets better but take some comfort in knowing that I have the same symptoms and loads more on this medication. My anxiety is up and down all day but like yourself tends to taper off in the evening a small bit (Enough to fall asleep). I also strangely wake up at bang on 5:30 every single morning no matter what time i go to bed at. Strange side effect in my opinion. But we have this!! I'm sure it will get better so hang in there 😃

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Lauren - I massively appreciate it. I'm sorry you're also going through it though - so tough. I actually feel worse than the reason I went on the tablets but have to hope I feel better eventually. My issue is also that with abdominal pains and diarrhoea (and some slight weight loss) it then spirals me worrying about worse stuff in a bit of a vicious cycle. I spoke to my gp though and he represcribed 50mg so hopefully will get used it by the 6 week mark! Mornings are dreadful but seem to feel better once I get myself up and about and after eating something. Good luck.

• Posted

Absolutely no problem at all! Oh yes I am the exact same. Before the meds I used to wake up in the mornings with the nausea/gagging and drive myself into a panic attack because I was anxious about why my stomach was still sick every morning and surely the gastritis should be cleared by now! Little did I know that it wasn't physical health related anymore and was actually my anxiety. But having said that once I got over the first hour in the morning, I was fine for the rest of the day. However, now I'm on this medication I'm up and down all day long until the late evening. Feeling anxious about silly stuff and then being anxious about being anxious!! I have lost a full 14lbs because lack of appetite/dry mouth and when the nausea was so bad I could vomit. I am starting to see some improvements now on 3.5 weeks. Most people say its between 4-6, even 12 weeks before theyre fully themselves again so we will get there 😃

• Posted

So glad you are seeing improvements. I think my weight is stabilising now but still lots of tummy ache especially early morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.